How to insert tab in Write() function in VHDL

Hi, I want to insert tab in write() function in VHDL.

Here is a write() function definition: procedure WRITE(L : inout LINE; VALUE : in character; JUSTIFIED: in SIDE := right; FIELD: in WIDTH := 0);

Here is character definition: package standard is type character is ( nul, soh, stx, etx, eot, enq, ack, bel, bs, ht, lf, vt, ff, cr, so, si, dle, dc1, dc2, dc3, dc4, nak, syn, etb, can, em, sub, esc, fsp, gsp, rsp, usp,

' ', '!', '"', '#', '$', '%', '&', ''', '(', ')', '*', '+', ',', '-', '.', '/', '0', '1', '2', '3', '4', '5', '6', '7', '8', '9', ':', ';', '', '?',

I want to know which one is tabulator (tab).

Thank you.

Weng

Reply to
Weng Tianxiang

ht

Reply to
Sylvain Munaut

or vt

Reply to
Symon

I know what VT did on an ASR33 Teletype, but I'm not at all sure what it's supposed to do these days ...

Tabs of any kind are extremely bad news anyway, because their appearance is so strongly dependent on the editor or viewer that you use to do the rendering. I hate 'em. Compute how many spaces you need and insert the spaces explicitly.

--
Jonathan Bromley, Consultant

DOULOS - Developing Design Know-how

jonathan.bromley@MYCOMPANY.com
http://www.MYCOMPANY.com

Jonathan Bromley

Hi Jonathan, This time I don't agree with your opinion.

What I do is to print out all related waveforms I am interested in and using tab is to make me easier to manually check if the waveforms are right so that a software can be used later to check the waveforms without 1 clock after another to manually check waveforms.

'ht' works for tab in VHDL.

Salvain, Thank you.

Weng

Reply to
Weng Tianxiang

(snip)

ht is horizontal tab, vt is vertical tab. There are terminals that know what to do with one or both of those.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

Ah - you are using tabs to create a tab-separated file for Excel or some similar software? If so, then I'm sorry - yes - that's OK.

I still think tabs are a crazy way to create human-readable layouts, because different editors and terminals may handle tabs in different ways. It can get *very* ugly.

Indeed.

--
Jonathan Bromley, Consultant

DOULOS - Developing Design Know-how

jonathan.bromley@MYCOMPANY.com
http://www.MYCOMPANY.com

Jonathan Bromley

You can see a list of all of these abbreviations at:

Gabor

...but I'd recommend CSV as a better solution for that application. HTH, Syms.

Reply to
Symon

Symon wrote: (snip on TAB character)

CSV is probably best as long as the fields can't contain a comma. If they do, then some will quote each string, unless the strings can contain quotes. If the do, then...

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt