How to comm with Altera JTAG UART (from custom host software)?

Hi,

is there any way to communicate with software running on a NIOS2 SOPC through JTAG from custom software on a Host PC? maybe via JTAG UART etc...

Would be nice if nios2-terminal provided a method to connect to the JTAG UART from own applications through Unix or TCP sockets, or something similar. Would be perfect if there was a public specification or source code example how to access a JTAG UART within a SOPC over JTAG?

We currently design a device where a serial interface is used just for maintenance work. The same data could be exchanged via JTAG UART if only we knew how to access it from our own software (Piping to and from nios2-terminal isn't exactly what I'm looking for).

Kolja

--
mr. kolja waschk - haubach-39 - 22765 hh - germany
fon +49 40 889130-34 - fax -35 - http://www.ixo.de

Kolja,

It's better to post these sorts of questions to the Nios Forum:

Here's a link to a post that I found doing a quick search for "jtag_uart":

It may not be exactly what you're looking for, but it should be a good start and, if you have any questions, the forum is generally pretty responsive.

There's also a Wiki where you can find similar information, though I'm not sure that this, particular, topic is covered there:

Best Regards,

- Brendan

Reply to
The Big Lebowski