PC to JTAG

I read all of the documents I could find about using the JTAG port as a communications interface to the FPGA and implemented my own JTAG controlled logic. The problem is, none of the documents that I read gave a decent solution as to how to get access to the JTAG chain on the PC side of things. I am using the Virtex II-Pro XUP board which has a USB front end to the JTAG interface. Is there an existing software solution available that I can use to send data to the user JTAG registers? If not, then is there a Xilinx API that I need to use to write a program to do it myself or do I need to use a standard USB library? Finally, once I am able to send data to the board's USB interface, is there a protocol that I need to follow to work with the Cypress USB chip or can I just send raw JTAG commands as the data payload?

---Matthew Hicks

Reply to
Matthew Hicks

Matthew Hicks schrieb:

communications

interface,

No.

you can talk to almst any other interface but not to the xilinx platform cable as xilinx does not make the protocol info available.

so, in generic talking to JTAG from PC is piece of cake. but if the interface is xilinx platform usb, you just cant do it, unless you load 3rd party firmware into the cypress chip...

Antti

Reply to
Antti

Great. That sucks. You'd think Xilinx would provide a way to send JTAG commands via iMPACT or maybe even Chipscope. Guess not.

---Matthew Hicks

Reply to
Matthew Hicks

Matthew Hicks schrieb:

commands

well, they "kinda" do... in such manner that I never bothered even trying..

1 you can execute SVF or maybe even STAPL with impact 2 you can send commands in impact debug mode 3 you can start chipscope and use tcl to send commands 4 you can RE the tcpip protocol and send commands to impact cable server 5 you can RE the chipscope server protocol and send commands to chipscope server

all those methods work...

but you cant talk to platform USB cable, unless you use your own firmware replacement or RE the usb protocol or DLL entry poins to xilinx libraries :(

Antti

Reply to
Antti

Thanks Antti. I thought of doing 1 and 3, but access to said features in the GUI wasn't apparent to me (I'm using version 9.1). I will dig around in the tools some more to see if I can figure it out. Thanks.

---Matthew Hicks

Reply to
Matthew Hicks

Thanks, I will sit down and read the manual for some deeper insight. But, I did what you said and I have at least the start of something working. Thanks for saving me the hours/days of pain.

---Matthew Hicks

Reply to
Matthew Hicks