Software UART driver

You will probably fail with this, because you need hard real time operation. Even if it is not really fast, you need to sample at least 4 times/bit time to find the start bit and its center and from there on sample the bits at each center point. Anything else will be to sensitive on minor variations from the sender. This timing must be met with at least half a bit time. The sender is a bit easier bit you also have to meet the timing.

things can come in the way even if running inside the kernel. It might work if your kernel is doing not much more.

--
Reinhardt
Reply to

Hi all,

I have tried to look an answer for this on the web, but I mainly got "no can do" (timing issue).

Kernel: 2.6.3x MCU: atmel at91 (9263)

I wish to get/write a driver to bitbang a couple of gpios to emulate a uart. the communication is with a remote PIC (PIC12F683) to which I have already wrote the software and checked with linux terminal. the communication does not have to be fast at all (1200 would be fine). only a few bytes are exchanged.

can someone point me in the right direction? did someone already develop such a driver? is there an example/guide I can follow to do it?

Daniel.

Reply to
Daniel Doron

o can do" (timing issue).

uart. the communication is with a remote PIC (PIC12F683) to which I have al ready wrote the software and checked with linux terminal.

only a few bytes are exchanged.

p such a driver? is there an example/guide I can follow to do it?

.

got it. thanks.

D.

Reply to
Daniel Doron

I disagree with the failure prediction. I did a bit banged MIDI interface with a PIC16F84 at more than a decade ago with great success. The real predictor of success or failure will be your requirements. It's true that hard real time response is needed however there are many ways to skin this cat. If there's no RTOS, your odds of success improve. If there are no other interrupts active, you will likely succeed. How many times you need to sample a bit cell will be determined by your operating environment, baud rate, reliability requirements, etc.

JJS

Reply to
John Speth

But did you do it *from linux* (that is what the OP seems to want to do AIUI).

--

John Devereux
Reply to

can do" (timing issue).

uart. the communication is with a remote PIC (PIC12F683) to which I have already wrote the software and checked with linux terminal.

only a few bytes are exchanged.

such a driver? is there an example/guide I can follow to do it?

I don't see why you can't do this on an Atmel. See "Bit Banging" by Jack Ganssle

)

AP-24 "Application Techniques for the MCS-48 Family" from Intel. Google it, and if you can't find it online get back to me.

How about this for the AVR "AVR304: Half Duplex Interrupt Driven Software UART"

Unless I misunderstand your question I am stunned you can't find the stuff on the web. Just entering bit bang in Google brings up tons of references.

antedeluvian

I assume you mean _linux_ kernel. If so, and if you don't have real time extensions, then probably not.

Amazingly enough, a few (around 99% of the market) embedded processors don't use Linux. So it's good to specify what OS (if any) you're using.

Without real-time extensions to your Linux kernal, or perhaps hijacking a timer interrupt in a way that it can be serviced independently of Linux, you're probably out of luck.

Bit-banging serial is easy-peasy if you have good timer resources and an OS that doesn't get in the way, but Linux gets in the way.

--
Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

it,