Help me choose an FPGA to design network protocols

10GbE that

$200.00

it

the

(in

design

register

using

do

out

handy.

you (or someone you know) have implemented on these boards? The Artix line seems to be lower end than Virtex line, so trying to get an idea if they can support somewhat complicated designs.

I haven't used the Arty except on a 1 day Xilinx "get to know Vivado" jolly. It's quite anice board. We are looking at alternatives to Lattice (no big reason, just due diligence) with a design currently running on a Lattice ECP3-35. The FPGA on the Arty could easily do Ethernet trispeed MAC, IP, ARP, UDP and some more. (We do this on the Lattice (about 20% of it) so I know of what I speak (at least that far)) TCP on the FPGA would be bigger (could be much bigger).

As an aside - why does HF trading use TCP - (think of this as an interview question :-)

Our UDP support is good at transmitting, poor at receiving ('coz that's what we need) - it does support an in-house protocol for re-transmission and message integrity - much simpler than TCP and faster.

By the time you've outgrown the Arty you've either done the career shift or it isn't going happen.

Michael Kellett

Reply to
Michael Kellett

Since many people have suggested Arty, I was giving it a serious thought. B ut although it does have ethernet (which I need), it does not have any kind of video output like VGA (I would strongly prefer to get a board with some kind of video output as well besides ethernet). I do not want to try and a dd VGA to it as I have no experience with that stuff. Another Digilent boar d that I really liked is the Nexys 4 DDR, which has both ethernet and VGA. But the price is a little over my budget at $320. I am trying to do this wi thin $200, although I it can go up a bit (to maybe $300) if I don't find an y good option in the "< $200" range.

To re-iterate, I am looking for a board with a Xilinx FPGA (preferably Arti x-7) that uses the Vivado software. And as stated above, I want ethernet an d video output connectivity support. So now that I have a clearer idea than before, if somebody can suggest a board meeting the above requirements (in the $200 range), that will be great.

So far I had only been looking at boards from Digilent, but I just came acr oss another company called Avnet which also sells Xilinx boards. They seem to have a lot more choices when I search for a board with Artix-7 (while Di gilent has only 3 or 4). I didn't understand very clearly what type of boar ds they sell. Do they make them or do they just distribute the boards made by Xilinx? Which one would be a better option - Digilent or Avnet? Or somet hing else?

Thanks.

Reply to
PM X

if you had any current experience you would know that the name is Vivado and that Xilinx have all versions of design tools going back something like

15 years still available

-Lasse

Reply to
lasselangwadtchristensen