mcu vs fpga help me to choose !!

hello am an mcu developper on 8051 .  never use xilinx fpga wana build an application and i don't know if an fpga is the best for my product i try to have the more low cost and "more compact" but i can't compare (not enought information)! My application request:

low cost for end user (i wana put my application freely on the net (i can program for the end user the chip if they don't have the programmer) and make the pcb ) litle description : usb chip bluetooth chip can use usb and bluethoot uart (usb always on in order to fix bluetooth : on/off adress....)  insitu mcu 2v7 with :

-23 adc low resolution 8/10 bit (200 sample/s)

-6 adc high resolution 12/16 bit (200 to 400 sample/s)

-1 temp sensor (compensate captor) in my application my mcu read adc and make 3 array one low resolution ; one high resolution before compensate & one array after compensate . got some calcul in order to correct the value of the high resolution array (the captor must be compensate). load the 2 array on request on my computer . my questions:  does the xilinx low cost fpga from your point of view can be a solution for this application and wich one ? or i must stay on my mcu solution ?  how does bluetooth and usb are implemented on fpga (insitus on special fpga or addon with other chip) ? think this apllication could be a good reason for me to try fpga and learn more about it ! thanks for your help y.sudrie from france :)

Reply to
sudrie

Generally, if you can easily do it in a CPU that's probably cheaper.

I didn't see anything in your description that looked like it would fit better on a FPGA than on a CPU.

-- The suespammers.org mail server is located in California. So are all my other mailboxes. Please do not send unsolicited bulk e-mail or unsolicited commercial e-mail to my suespammers.org address or any of my other addresses. These are my opinions, not necessarily my employer's. I hate spam.

Reply to
Hal Murray

I would also suggest you to leave your fingers away from FPGAs for your planned design. It appears to be far more cheaper and cost-efficient to use a micro controller with appropriate integrated peripheral devices or perhaps with some external chips.

USB, in particular, is quite complex and perhaps you would need to put an MCU into your FPGA to handle it at all.

For the case you would need some special hardware features (e.g. when all your ADC samples would need to be processed "somehow" in parallel), then an FPGA + MCU solution might be of interest.

Regards, Mario

Reply to
Mario Trams

ok ! gonna use 1 mcu ! one with bluetooth & usb port

8/16 bit and external adc 8 channel hd 16 bit ! thanks for your help !!
Reply to
sudrienet