Getting started VHDL, VHDL for Dummies, Easy Steps for FPGA experiments

Dear FPGA and VHDL Experts,

I am new to FPGA and VHDL. I would like to learn VHDL and start experimenting FPGA. I beleive I learn faster and better by experimenting. What would you recommend for beginners like me to getting started with VHDL and FPGA experimentation ? Which SW (for WinXP and/or Fedora Linux ) for VHDL? Which start-up experimentation board for FPGA? Which URL, books etc for easy to start experiment?

Many thanks for your help.

Kutaj Vamor

Reply to
Kutaj Vamor

Go to

. They have a number of tutorials and cheap development boards.

Regards Anton Erasmus

Reply to
Anton Erasmus

Hi Kutaj,

I recommend downloading free Xilinx ISE WebPACK design software from Xilinx since at least Xilinx gives you a very slow HDL simulator (ModelSim XE-Starter) unlike Altera, Actel, or Lattice. I believe ModelSim XE-Starter supports Windows only, so I recommend sticking to Windows for the time being. I also recommend learning Verilog instead of VHDL because Verilog is lighter and simpler language than VHDL. (VHDL is a "heavier" language than Verilog in my opinion.) I know there are many different ways to learn HDL and FPGA, but one method I recommend doing is to attach your FPGA to a desktop computer via PCI bus, and experiment with the FPGA. I myself tried learning HDL (Verilog and VHDL) reading books written about them, but it didn't work out because either the examples in the books were too short, boring (Like traffic light or vending machine state machine example often used in HDL books.), or wasn't something large enough like accessing an FPGA from a computer. I always thought that attaching one's own FPGA to a desktop computer will be an interesting project, so developed my own PCI interface to do so, and in the process, I learned Verilog HDL. (Learned VHDL later by porting Verilog HDL code to VHDL.) PCI bus is a fairly complex bus (PCI Express is even worse.) which is certainly intimidating for FPGA beginners, but the use of a PCI IP (Intellectual Property) core can largely solve the problem, allowing the FPGA beginner to concentrate on the user logic behind the PCI bus. BDS XPCI PCI IP core is a Xilinx (TM) LogiCORE (TM) PCI compatible (replacement) PCI IP core developed by Brace Design Solutions. BDS XPCI32 PCI IP core is available for as little as $100 for non-commercial, non-profit, personal use, and the same 64-bit version BDS XPCI64 PCI IP core (Includes BDS XPCI32 PCI IP core) goes for $200. Since the pricing starts at only $100, it is ideal for HDL learners, FPGA beginners, FPGA hobbyists, computer hardware enthusiasts, or student graduation projects. BDS XPCI PCI IP core comes with a PCI testbench for Verilog HDL which allows the user to simulate the design extensively on an HDL simulator like ModelSim before firing up the FPGA. VHDL support is currently poor, but VHDL porting of reference designs and PCI testbench should be available in a month. BDS XPCI PCI IP core officially supports the following PCI boards.

- Insight Electronics Spartan-II 150 PCI (Already discontinued)

- Insight Electronics Spartan-II 200 PCI Development Kit

BDS XPCI PCI IP core "unofficially" supports the following PCI boards.

- Avnet Xilinx Spartan-3 Evaluation Kit

- Enterpoint Broaddown2 Development Board

So with BDS XPCI PCI IP core, almost anyone can make their own PCI device for about $400 to $500. ($300 to $400 for the board + $100 for BDS XPCI32 PCI IP core) For commercial users who want to modify a Xilinx LogiCORE PCI or want to convert a design that uses Xilinx LogiCORE PCI to an ASIC (FPGA to ASIC conversion), BDS XPCI PCI IP core is also available in Verilog HDL RTL. For more information, visit Brace Design Solutions website at

Kevin Brace

Kutaj Vamor wrote:

--
Brace Design Solutions
Xilinx (TM) LogiCORE (TM) PCI compatible BDS XPCI PCI IP core available

Xilinx and LogiCORE are registered trademarks of Xilinx, Inc.
Reply to
Kevin Brace

Kutaj,

Lattice offers the free "ispLEVER-Starter" package for PCs at

It provides several modules to download Lattice implementation tools including Precision RTL or Synplify logic synthesis for Lattice FPGAs.

After you've studied a VHDL text book, I'd recommend the User Guides from the respective logic synthesis vendors. These will provide practical examples and style guidelines to write good RTL.

Cheers, Troy Scott Lattice Semiconductor

Reply to
troy.scott

Another option for a Spartan 3 board can be found at

There are also a number of tutorials there for beginning with Xilinx ISE Webpack.

Reply to
PNowe