fpga uclinux, good starter board ?

hi folks,

i'm looking for suggestions on a good starter board/fpga so i can try my hand at getting uclinux to run on an fpga with ethernet and serial connections. something not too terribly expensive would be nice, but also something capable, something i can use for getting into the whole "fpga uclinux" thing .. that won't tie my hands later because it's too small, slow, or just weak. it would be nice if it used a widely available fpga that i could gain experience with so that at some later time i might surface mount one myself on a board of my own creation.

thank you! :)

Reply to
purple_stars

You could look at the hpe mini boards from Gleichmann Electronics Research:

There is a board for Altera CycloneII EP2C35 (350 Euro) And one for Lattice ECP33 (450 Euro)

Stefan.

Reply to
xsteve

and there is really uclinux available on the Lattice board??

WAU! I did not know.

Antti

Reply to
Antti

Have a look at our Raggedstone1 product. RS1-400 has Spartan-3 XC3S400 on it at GBP=A350 + VAT (if applies). RS232 (stock) and Ethernet interfaces(stock next week) modules are available. Basic details here

John Adair

Reply to
John Adair

John,

your boards are EXCELLENT for the money they cost but this time the OP asked for 'uclinux' ready boards.

the requirement for uclinux is

1) xilinx FPGA S2-200 or larger, S3-1000 or larger preferred 2) 4MB RAM 3) some way to load boot image 2MB flash or some media load the image from

Raggestone1 does not have a option with 4MB ram ASFAIK so its not an option for the OP

Antti

Reply to
Antti

To be honest. Linux support for these boards is work in progress. There is a 32MByte Flash memory to host the boot image.

There is a compact flash interface on the board. Jiri Gaisler is AFAIK working on a way to boot linux from a compact flash.

Additionally there is a DDR RAM interface that should give access to memory sizes of up to 1 GByte.

So the hardware support for very capable linux systems is ready on the board. The software support is being worked on.

Stefan.

Reply to
xsteve

sure I know, but it isnt ready yet.

leon can run linux and it can run on the lattice board, *when* it is ported and tested.

Antti

Reply to
Antti

Well actually you can buy a single chip 4 Mbit RAM that will fit the DIL headers. There are solder bridges to facilitate that chip and others and there is one in Farnell last time I looked. A RAM module is also on it's way to if that is not enough. If you want more boot space then we can also accomodate a disk drive or MMC card with module add-on.

John Adair Enterpoint Ltd. - Home of Broaddown2. The Ultimate Spartan-3 Development Board.

John Adair

John,

the requirement is 4 MBYTE RAM not 4 mbit !!

there is no dil socketed 3.3V 4MBYTE ram modules available ASFAIK

Antti

Reply to
Antti