FPGA's at Electronica 2004

Hi

just some short info what was at Electronica 2004 (they way I did feel and see things there)

Xilinx - I did see the ML401 board running an OS from the CF card using standard PC peripherals (keyboard monitor) - well it's my opinion of course but anyone considering buying some other V4LX25 based starterkit/eval board should think twice and see if he can get ML401 instead, its real nice board packet with all you wanna have peripherals (all that make sense for V4-LX)

As per Xilinx ML401 boards "ARE SHIPPING" - as of other information Avent and Memec are not yet shipping their V4 starterkits, at least I have not information about anyone receiving Avnet/Memec V4 board, I know there are pending order for both, and both Memec/Avent are promising to start deliveries (really) soon.

ML461 was also there, its real HUGE board! Well I guess anyone testing the memories and memory controllers have already placed their orders.

There is expected a low cost S3-1500 board (Digilent) with "feature packed peripherals" - no further info but my guess price tag $199-$299

Altera - "Wasnt there" as of general feeling at Xilinx booth - this was almost true, a small Altera booth was at the fair, but very hidden at the Automotive hall. Altera seems to cover it all by "one size fits them all" approuch - they only had "Large" T-shirts (no options), and a special calculator to help engineers to get Altera equivalent to all other FPGA's, a few examples:

XC2VP100 -> EP1S80 XC2V80 ->EPM1270G (* secondary choice) APA75 -> EP1C3 AX2000 -> EP1C20 [...] -> [...]

Great tool! Now we can buy Altera parts for all our needs!

Ah, sorry some useful info too: First MAX2 chips in TQFP package are expected JAN 2005

Actel - Great expresso at the booth! And.. my mouth is shut :( (I did see there someone and something unexpected)

Synplify - ver 8 due Jan 2005, Actel Proasic is not and will not be supported by Amplify

Mentor - Got Modelsim Designer 6.0 mini CD (not sure whats on it)

Altium - All busy explaining visitors how to route a wire, the new V2Pro nanoboard module was not at the show (but they have it!)

Lattice - Sorry I forgot about you guys, my fault, see you next time around! (I still have EC board on my wishlist of wanna have eval boards)

Atmel - was there, hard to find, when found nothing to see nobody to talk, no espresso either.

Antti PS All above are my personal and possible biased comments only, please read them light with :) on the face

Antti Lukats