FPGA quiz2: spartan3A return Virtex JTAGID. Also prizes for quiz1 and quiz2

Hi

folks, the answers the first quiz have made some smile to my face, so I decided to make it more interesting and am actually offering prizes for the first correct answer, prizes will be

FPGA miniconsole from

for first answer that is correct (to each quiz posted by me to C.A.F.), or for first question that requires me to answer in way that solution is obvious.

the first quiz was the 2 LED one, already posted on C.A.F.

so here comes the second (this is much much simpler)

Xilinx Spartan3A on custom PCB. was working ok was stressed VCCINT=1.8V (regulator IC current limit 150ma) it does configure ok from external configuration memory

JTAG scan returns JTAGID from Virtex-II family.

what is wrong?

Antti PS the prizes will be sent to the winner free of charge from first production batch. (and thats all public info til that time)

Reply to
Antti

Delays in the JTAG chain that shift the data by 1 bit ? Was the JTAGID manufacturer field still the Xilinx ID ?

Laurent Pinchart

Reply to
Laurent Pinchart

JTAG ID returned vendor Xilinx family Virtex-II device 0 (invalid)

this same (wrong!) JTAGID returned all the time

Reply to
Antti

TDO driven by more than one component ? If two Xilinx parts drive TDO in sync (instead of being properly chained) conflicts will occur for the family and device ID by not the vendor ID.

Laurent Pinchart

Reply to
Laurent Pinchart

single IC chain

Antti (sorry for posting from different account, google goups asserted temp. block on my primary account)

Reply to
avrbasic

Could the family and device ID be stored as some kind of fuses that got burnt when VCCINT was raised to 1.8V ?

Laurent Pinchart

Reply to
Laurent Pinchart

it was my first guess too, but no this is not the case

Antti

Reply to
Antti

Is this the Spartan 3A that was originally going to be a Virtex family chip, then they rebranded it but did not change the ID?

S Woods

Reply to
naughty.zeut

Did the JTAGID change after you applied VCCINT=1.8V or was it already defective before ?

Laurent Pinchart

Reply to
Laurent Pinchart

I did not observe the wrong ID before. I did some rework on the PCB, the VCCINT regulator VCCADJ did fell off, and i was suddenly measuring 1.8V after fixing the supply and completing my PCB rework, the ID was wrong.

the problem has been fixed, and the same FPGA now works fully ok again and returns correct ID too.

Antti

Reply to
avrbasic

JTAGID

WAU, thats good guess!!

well on the plastic housing there is part of the text that has been laser-erased after chip marking for some reason

but no, this is not the case for the wrong ID readback

Antti

Reply to
avrbasic

Single IC chain, but is there more than one entity on the chain, say a V2 before/after it. If so, the spartan could have stuck itself in constant pass-through and the other device was the only one responding on the chain.

-- Mike

Reply to
morphiend

single chain, single TAP entity in the chain

Antti

Reply to
Antti

Is it possible that voltage feed for the ID code is sourced from two different locations inside the FPGA and that the first part of the ID is generated properly but the latter becomes erased/garbled?

Reply to
morphiend

JTAGID

in

-

Recheck decoupling capacitors and power destribution on the board. if you want to avoid this error, assign boundary scan descriptive language file (of spartan 3A) to FPGA in IMPACT.

Hope it won't help.... :-), but i solved my problem this way.

MH

Reply to
mh

JTAGID

TDO in

text -

And yes, I forgot, change the computer or reintall Windows, (if you are using it)......... A logical solution to an illogical problem....

Reply to
mh

JTAGID

TDO in

text -

and we have another WINNER, I think this answer should already accepted.

I have not been able to fix the problem by adding bypass caps, but the issue is:

"100MHz noise on VCCINT". a canned oscillator is generating extreme noise that seems to pass all bypass caps..

so what it looks: when supply connected to VCCINT regulator drops, so that VCCINT also drops, then

VCCINT > 1.17V bad ID

Reply to
Antti