DCM Question

I have an embedded project (MicroBlaze) that is currently using external oscillator to drive a DCM. The clkfx output of that DCM is used to drive all of the logic in the system. The parts that our company makes (Transceivers) have reference clock outputs that we want to use to clock some logic in the system. We have two "flavors" of parts that out current hardware needs to support. The problem is that one part outputs a 38.4 MHz clock, and the other outputs a 26 MHz clock. The 38.4 MHz clock can be used at 1x speed. We "talk" to out parts via a 3 wire serial protocol that is rated at 19.2 MHz top speed. This works nicely with the 38.4 clock since the flops driving the external protocol output 19.2 MHz, or slower.

The part that ouputs the 26MHz clock has the same 3 wire serial interface (the protocol is different) but it is rated at 26 MHz top speed. So the logic that drives the interface needs to be 52MHz to reach this output speed.

So basically what we need to do is pick either a 1x version of the input clock (38.4MHz) or a 2x version (to bump the 26MHz to 52MHz). I implemented a mux connected to the OPB. A software write will select which output of the DCM to use.

My concern is with the input frequency parameter of the DCM. Does this parameter make or break the core? The input frequency to the DCM will either be 38.4MHz or 26MHz. But I want to use the same DCM for both freqs. Is this OK? I can easily try it, but wanted to ask here to see what folks had to say.

I can also use two different DCM's and switch between the two if need be.

Thanks!

Reply to
motty