Communication between HDL simulation and user software via ZMQ

I develop systems were the FPGA-based hardware will use message-based commu nication (via Ethernet, USB or another communication channel) with remote s oftware. Those systems require thorough testing in simulations.

Therefore I needed to create a mechanism for communication between the simu lation and software using the remote message-passing library like ZeroMQ.

The first version was implemented for GHDL, using VHPI, and it was very sim ple:

Unfortunately, sometimes my systems have to use proprietary Xilinx IP block s, that can't be simulated with GHDL. (Especially now, when Xilinx decided to postpone support for VHLD models fo r IP cores

) The only option to interface simulation with the external C library in Viva do XSIM is now DPI via SystemVerilog. (Well, it is possible to communicate via named pipes and sockets, but it re quires reimplementation of ZeroMQ in HDL, which quite complex)

Because it is not possible to directly communicate with SystemVerilog funct ions in tasks from VHDL, I had to create a simple module (entity), that pro vides a standard signal-based interface for VHDL. There are two equivalent versions. One for GHDL and another one for XSIM. The sources are also avail able at

The code is just "proof of the concept", so it is not very clean. However, I hope that it may be useful or at least inspiring for somebody,

The code is published as Public Domain or under Creative Commons CC0 licens e, so it may be widely reused.

I'll appreciate any suggestions for improvements or bugs fixes.

Regards, Wojtek

Reply to
wzab01