Clock generation

Hi,

I would like to generate a clock from a refclk according to the following function:

clk = refclk*(64/66)

I will implement this function in an VirtexII Pro FPGA and my first approach is to divide the refclk by 3 in logic and then use a DCM to multiply with 32/11.

clk = refclk*(1/3)*(64/22) clk = refclk/3*(32/11)

Will this work? The frequencies has to be locked to each other.

------ Patrik Eriksson

Reply to
Patrik Eriksson

what is your refclk frequency?.

Reply to
Vladislav Muravin

64B/66B coding is used in 10G Ethernet. I guess this is what the OP is using. One would assume that the output frequency would be 644.53125MHz or perhaps 161.1328MHz or so, so refclk would be 625 or 156.25MHz.

Jitter is really important for this sort of design. I recommend that the OP uses an external analog PLL to generate the clock.

Regards, Allan.

Reply to
Allan Herriman

as far as i remember, if you are using a CLKIN input of DCM with that high frequency clock, its input clock should have 50 +/- 5% duty cycle. a division by 3 using counter would not give that.

Reply to
Vladislav Muravin