ANNOUNCE: TimingAnalyzer -- new updated version

Hello All,

A new version beta 0.83 is now available. The following changes and additions have occurred.

  • Improved Image Preview Display. * Context sensitive popup menus to edit objects. * Path set in image save dialog works. * Metric paper sizes added to image preview. * Lower case z, and x now work bus value combobox in toolbar. * Move signals up and down commands now respect any space in diagrams used for Text. * Objects attached to any signal being deleted are deleted automatically. * Save file now includes some more error checking before saving objects. * Delays can not be added to DigitalClocks.

You can download the Free Edition now and read all about the TimingAnalyzer at:

The TimingAnalyzer can be used to quickly and easily draw timing diagrams. Signals, clocks, buses, delays, constraints, and states are easily added from the GUI.

It can also be used to quickly do a timing analysis and check for timing faults. Minimum, typical, and worst case analysis can be performed. Delays and constraints are easily specified and changed to see if faster clocks or slower parts can be used without any timing faults.

There are 3 editions planned. The Free Edition(FE), a Standard Edition(SE), and the Professional Edition(PE).

Reply to
timinganalyzer

You asked for suggestions... I suggest that you spend some time working on the docs. I don't mean the full up, detailed manual. I mean come up with something that lets a beginner produce some simple diagrams quickly. Leave out the fancy features and just explain the basics of how this program is intended to be used. I think you feel the program is simple, but it is not. Maybe once you get the user over the initial hump, it is easy. But that initial hum is significant.

You have several ways of getting documentation or help. I could only find one that worked. In particular, you have a menu item in the program that opens a link in the web browser... to an empty page. I understand that this is a placeholder, but why have a placeholder that only frustrates the user? Grey out the menu item to anything that is not implemented or that does not work. No point in having users go down dead ends.

Rick

Reply to
rickman

The documentation in the application works.

Help Menu -> User Manual

It is very limited in scope but has the basics. There is also an step by step example.

I know the documentation page on the website is empty. I'm looking for help, beta testing and things like documentation. Anyone interested in helping, please let me know.

I will try to improve the docs with each new release.

Thanks, Dan

Reply to
timinganalyzer

I know you are working on the docs and everything else. My point is that it is not a good practice to provide a link to an empty web page. Instead of doing that, you should gray out the link that points to it so people don't waste time looking where there is no help.

That's all. I'm not trying to complain about things. You asked for suggestions and I am offering one. I think it is a pretty obvious principle to not provide menu items that aren't currently working. Wait until there is something to read, then give them a link to access.

Good luck with it.

Rick

Reply to
rickman