Altera SCFIFO

Hi,

I have generated two SCFIFOs with Altera Quartus (4.2 SP1) MegaWizardManager.

One optimized for best speed (that is Quartus is said to add output registers)

and one for smallest area (no output registers).

After compiling the two FIFOs I have a look at their structure in the RTLViewer.

And yet I cannot see any output registers for the "best speed" optimized one. I can go down the hierachy until I see the RAM block but there are no additional flipflops between the RAM block and the outputs of the SCFIFO.

Why ?

Rgds Andr=E9

Reply to
ALuPin

Speed/Area constraints are just hints. If you know what you want, skip the wizard and write your own code.

-- Mike Treseler

Reply to
Mike Treseler

Of course one could try to write an own FIFO, it case been discussed here several times ...

But my question still is why the MegaWizard says

"Output register option for devices with fully synchronous RAM Would like to register the outputs to maximize performance but use more area?" --> YES (best speed)

and YET the RTL viewer does not show an output register stage ?

Rgds Andr=E9

Mike Treseler schrieb:

Reply to
ALuPin

Hi Andre,

The outp[ut registers are an optional component in the M4K blocks.

To illustrate this, create a dual-port memory using the Plug-in manager. At a certain point you get to the page where you can select which ports to register. One of them is the Q output. These output registers are inside the M4Ks, so you won't see them. If you look at the parameter with which the SCFIFO instantiates the M4K, you should see a difference.

If not...

Best regards,

Ben

Reply to