Altera configuration with microcontroller

I'm looking at the cost of serial configuration devices from Altera and am a little shocked at how expensive they are. Digi Key sells the EPCS4 for $13, which seems steep for 4Mbit of storage.

A quick glance at Digi-Key's website suggests I can get an SPI-compatible PIC chip and a 4Mbit SPI FLASH memory for less than $4, which means I should be able to program the FPGA from the PIC for a third of the cost of Altera's solutoin.

Before I go off and reinvent the wheel, does anyone know of a prepackaged solution for programming an Altera device (I'm using a Cyclone) with a microcontroller that I can just drop into my project? I'm sure I can't be the first person to do this. If anyone has a website describing a similar setup, I'd love to see it.

Thanks,

-Nevo

Reply to
Nevo

Google is your friend (and above $500 as of today, alas I have none). Using a couple of the keywords in your posting leads one to this site

which I believe does what you need. Comes with schematics too.

Reply to
mk

Some years ago I designed a system with an ADI DSP and Altera FPGA. I bit-banged the configuration data into the FPGA using a couple of outputs on the DSP. Altera had an application note on how to do it which I used.

Leon

Reply to
Leon

I always configure FPGAs from micros rather than expensive configuration chips, sometimes from local flash, but often from a PC over USB or similar.

The Altera Cyclone handbook describes exactly how to do what you want with a micro - look at 'Passive Serial' in the configuration chapter. It's trivial.

I suspect it will be quicker to get it working from scratch yourself than to try and munge someone else's design into your own specific platform.

Will

Reply to
Will Dean

Have a look at ST M25Pxx devices. Although Altera don't say it, these devices are compatible with EPCSx ... but at a much lower price ;o)

Check EPCS and M25P datasheet to convince yourself.

---------------------------------------------- Posted with NewsLeecher v3.5 Beta 5 *

Anonymous

Will,

Thanks. I think that's probably the road I'll choose.

Reply to
Nevo