zener in HP 6111A D.C. power supply

Hi. I'm repairing a H.P. 6111A D.C. power supply and need to replace a shorted diode. It is CR32. If anyone out there has the service manual, could you please tell me what this part is? It seems to be marked GE1-3.2Z so it's not a stretch to think that it's a 3.2V zener, but I'd like to know for sure. Thanks.

-- Joe

Reply to
Joe L.

However, as the zener voltage goes down, their abruptness degrades as well,and a 3.2V zener is not much better than a forward biased diode.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Is that because the low-voltage ones use the zener process, whereas the high voltages ones use an avalanche process? I'm just interested. Sorry I can't help the OP about that diode.

Reply to
Dave

Joe - CR32 is to protect against application of reverse polarity from any external source. It is spec'd as "200V 500mA" so any fat rectifier type would do. There is some virtue in using a device with a smallish current rating, 1N4001 etc, as these should fail 'short' as yours did, providing permanent protection!

Reply to
Jules

Jules,

Thanks for the info. I installed a 1N4003 and the power supply is back to normal. I appreciate the help.

-- Joe

Reply to
Joe L.