cut my own

daylights out of

toe-caps and

stamp on up

I would

cement. The

with a

volcano.

My wife would have fits if I ever started doing that.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Heck, I'll happily pay express postage to Australia for one!!

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

Guilty. I am one of them. We do a lot of pulsed ultrasound and there such features are indispensable. But I can mostly work quite well with analog scopes. Except when the delay-trigger clutch on ye olde 2465 fell apart...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

It's a simple matter of that if you have it available you'll find a lot of uses for it you didn't know you had before. If you don't have it available you make do and don't realise what you are missing.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

On 3/1/2007 8:36 PM, The digits of john jardine's hands composed the following:

I sometimes need to see a signal that is hard to trigger on so I trigger on something else, which may be later. For example I do a lot of CCD design. I often trigger on the reset pulse which happens at a different time than the image data I am looking for. This helps me know that I am looking at the same pixel each time because the image is referenced to the reset not the picture. I would hate to think I am looking at a black reference pixel when I am actually looking at a live data pixel.

Hawker

Reply to
Hawker

That really surprises me. In my meager experience I have wanted to know what happened _before_ the trigger many times. I, for one, can't wait to find out. ;-)

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

Put me in that list! I don't own a scope (I Know, how can I be an engineer if I don't have an o-scope...) and could use one if it doesn't cost much. Used is fine, I only need it to troubleshoot the occasional board. For digital, I have a small USB signal analyzer...

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Edmondson

"Me wants one too!" :-)

--
Johannes
You can have it:

As a master's project I designed a CCD camera from scratch. To be able to look at one CCD pixel I borrowed a HP scope from the RF institute next door because I knew someone there. By today's standard that scope would be considered pre-historic. Then I built myself a "crutch", a little precision delay circuit so I could trigger on the previous line end and scoot the scope trigger via a 20-turn potmeter (the scope did not have delayed trigger).

Sure enough, the millisecond I turned that scope on for the first time .. POOF. Dark smoke came out. One of the PS transistors had decided to become a rocket and this was the darling scope of the RF guys :-(

But luckily we had such a transistor and it hadn't taken much downstream of it into the grave.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

I would bite the bulet and buy a new one. I bought 2 second hand ones from a dealer and they stopped working very soon after I got them. I would go for a modern new scope that fits what you are trying to do.

Marra

Seems to me you're missing something. Moons ago scope manufacturers spent a *lot* of money on delay lines and dual-timebase modes to do what is trivial with digital storage and $.29 worth of code today.

Do you never trigger logic analyzers on anything but the start?

--
  Keith
Reply to

there. It

The

encoder

it makes

boards I

nicer to

settings.

across *THE

its'

cut my own

daylights out of

toe-caps and

stamp on up

I would

cement. The

with a

volcano.

When we bought and refurbed the fortune cookie factory, they built a room just for my scopes.

John

that

the

sure do

donations

people

Yes indeed, for logic it's essential!. Maybe that's the difference I'm puzzling over, in that my scope gets used about 95% for analogue. For logic and micro stuff I've a HP1630D. Must admit though I'd rather run a mile, before being arsed to pulling it's bulk off the shelf, clip on the mess of pods and probes, battle with the lunatic menus and listen to the horrendous fan noise. john

john jardine

there. It

The

digitally

encoder

it makes

boards I

nicer to

settings.

across *THE

polish its'

cut my own

daylights out of

toe-caps and

stamp on up

where I would

cement. The

with a

volcano.

Ah, you bought that. That's why we didn't get fortune cookies the day before yesterday. Oh wait, it was a Thai restaurant. Excellent dinner BTW.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

there. It

breadboard. The

digitally

encoder

it makes

boards I

nicer to

settings.

EBay

across *THE

polish its'

could cut my own

daylights out of

toe-caps and

stamp on up

where I would

cement. The

pieces with a

volcano.

I always print my own fortunes, generally something along the lines of "Generous person across table buys dinner to-nite"

Ink-jet technology is a wonderful thing....

Reply to
BFoelsch

its quite possible that particular piece of equipment was (is) faulty. Im pretty sure it had to pass CISPR xx at some point....

Cheers Terry

Reply to
Terry Given

That one may be worse than usual, but I recall seeing the same general issue on mine. The probes were sitting disconnected on top of the scope, and I started wondering what the signal was. At first I thought it was from the lamp (a compact fluorescent known to switch around the same frequency), but I turned it off and realized it was coming from the scope itself. So far (knock on wood) it has not been a problem for me in actual use, but I can confirm that the noise is present, and really quite disappointing, considering.

Reply to
Terran Melconian

Radiated emissions tend to not mater below about 30MHz..

Probably the LCD backlight - a few hundred volts at around that frequency behind an unshielded window is bound to get out...

Reply to
Mike Harrison

I would rather you sent one or two to me rather than put them in a landfill. I can squeeze a few more years out of it.

--
 JosephKK
  --Schiller

Analog scopes can trigger off other than the source too. Delayed (run A after B, A delayed by B, etc.) are very powerful triggering modes for analog scopes. Digital scopes make these sorta obsolete.

Well... ;-) That wasn't my point.

--
  Keith
Reply to