TDS-1002b Any good? Comments?

And yet some ppl wouldn't be able to understand that.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

LOL !

I do recall having to switch off monochrome or EGA monitors when performing audio tests too back 'in the days'.

This one's scanning at ~ 90 kHz so no trouble there !

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

I'm electronically promiscuous. I'll design anything.

John

It

makes

settings.

across *THE

its'

my own

out of

toe-caps and

on up

would

cement. The

with a

Or you could simply sell it on eBay and buy a lot of beer or something :->

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

The 2465 is quite a nice scope for some analog work. Mine gets used on occasion. They are useless for digital work and I sometimes forget that when I am at the wrong bench with the digital stuff. Low duty cycle is a killer. The tds3000 are really nice and make it harder to go back and use the 2465 even with its nicer user interface. No storage for averaging or looking at noise either, just you and the phosphor.

You also mentioned the 7000 series scopes. Here you cannot give them away. We set an entire truckload to the landfill because of that. The only I have left has a tdr in it.

Reply to
doug

We have the same problem with Tek 2465's, we have them stacked up in storage to the ceiling, nobody will touch them with a ten foot pole, one guy uses one to prop his monitor up higher in his lab, that is about the only use they get.

Reply to
bungalow_steve

makes

settings.

across *THE

my own

out of

and

on up

would

cement. The

I really like my eight or ten various TDS scopes. I rarely use my analog scopes any more, even though I have maybe 40 of them.

John

The 7000s weren't super reliable, and those tiny buttons were a pain. And the TDR was fairly primitive, tunnel diode pulsers and all that. You can get an 11801/SD24 rig on ebay for a few kilobucks, seriously good, quantitative TDR.

Something like a 545 or a 547 is collectable art; no 7000 series scope is.

John

I'll gladly pay shipping costs for a good one. :-)

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

We had really good luck with a pile of 7904s. We had very few 7704s. I only remember the DPO (a 7704 with a digitizer in the middle). The

7S11/7S12 wasn't at all bad for the early '70s.

There are *lots* of 7000 series scopes floating around. 1970 pennies aren't worth much either.

I liked the 465 and it's siblings.

--
  Keith
Reply to

I've got a real horror story about one company that decided they can do it on their own but I can't tell it in public. Suffice it to say that there came a loud kablouie, after which their stock price plummeted to less than 0.1% within a few weeks. Actually, I also got a 2nd horror story but now I am getting carried away into OT.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

I'll see your shipping costs and raise you a bottle of scotch. ;-)

I can see the ad now: "Do you have unwanted analog oscilloscopes? Don't put them down! Put them up for adoption in loving homes where they'll get the care and attention they deserve."

Reply to
Terran Melconian

Exactly, my motivations are purely altruistic. ;-)

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

Sure. If you care about the technology, the money just happens. If you care about the money, the technology may well not happen.

John

Depends on who is in the lab. When I had the Viewsonic terminals our younger dog would get up and leave after turning it on. I guess the flyback transformer whine bothered her. She gave me "the looks" before leaving.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

2465s are fetching decent money on ebay.co.uk.

I'll help you get rid of one for sure !

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

makes

settings.

across *THE

its'

my own

out of

toe-caps and

on up

would

cement. The

with a

Maybe offer them through your web site or EBay? Some of my clients would probably bite. Although the recent one only needs one more 2465 and they have some bids out. But one never knows, on EBay the common strategy seems to put in your final bit a few milliseconds after time is up. Kind of like the opposite from what we do to get SWA boarding passes ;-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Same here. Not that I need one right now but it would get a loving home.

Yes!

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

I'm sure that business school 101 includes a heavy dose about how you, too, can run a multi-national Fortune 500 technology company just fine, even if you never understood any of that math and science stuff they tried to teach you back in high school.

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

It

makes

settings.

across *THE

its'

cut my own

out of

toe-caps and

on up

would

cement. The

with a

volcano.

I'm a collector! I never sell!

I don't have many portable scopes, maybe a Kikusui or two. Mostly big old mainframes... 535's, 545's, 547's, 7000's, a few HP180's, a few exotics; a zillion plugins, many sampling. I do have an HP185 4 GHz sampling scope ca 1961, with plugins and manuals; *that* is a chunk of history, if an ugly one.

John