C-Flea Virtual CPU from Dunfield -- Any comments ?

I have an application based on an ATMega where I want to be able to
execute some code from a serial flash that can be plugged in. I have
been considering using the C-Flea Virtual CPU emulator from Dunfield
together with it's compiler.
I would appreciate any comments - good/bad regarding C-Flea. Currently
a assembly version for the AVR does not exists, hence I would probably
use the C version compiled with avr-gcc at first.
Any other ideas would be welcome.

Regards
  Anton Erasmus

Re: C-Flea Virtual CPU from Dunfield -- Any comments ?

I have not seen the original post, as some of my newsgroups have been
off the air for several days due to the power problems. I have received a
couple of inquirys about an AVR version lately, to which I had reponded
that I did not have one available.

I had forgotten that there was an AVR version done by a student who worked
here one summer - It's not well tested and I've not looked at it in years...
It's not currently in my VM collection, but I'm sure I could find it with a
little digging through backups (that must have been what I did in this case).

Btw, the C-FLEA library does provide "longmath" functions which can perform
long arithmetic (up to 256 bits), although it's a bit clunky as it's done via
library calls. The compiler natively supports 8 and 16 bit arithmetic, and I'm
not certain that using a lot of long math functions on a tiny 8 bit interpreted
processor would be a good idea. I've written a "substantial amount" of code
over the years, much of it for little tiny systems, and the cases where I need
to use long arithmetic are quite infrequent - if there's something you really
think you cannot do with my tools, feel free to contact me and I may be able
to offer some suggestions.

Dunfield Development Systems          http://www.dunfield.com
Low cost software development tools for embedded systems
Re: C-Flea Virtual CPU from Dunfield -- Any comments ?

Sorry - I had to cancel the tech account due to excessive spam (> 300/day).

I've emailed you the information you need to send it to me - if for some
reason that doesn't get through, please provide contact information through
the technical support form on my website.

And thanks - that will save me a fair bit of time digging for it!