Soft iron in the house?

I want to build an electromagnet at home, and I'd like a "soft iron" core, it seems. Does anyone have suggestions for where I could get "soft iron" in this day and age? Steel seems to be our modus operandi...

Thanks!

Reply to
Little White Mouse

Use the core of an old relay perhaps? Or open up one side of a transformer??

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

The laminations are silicon steel.

Reply to
Robert Baer

I would have though that the suggestion to use soft iron was made before laminations and silicon steel were available. Or indeed ready made electromagnets.

Reply to
John McMillan