reversing an AC motor

I've been trying to reverse the direction of an AC fan motor without taking it apart and changing things.

It doesn't have any brushes, it is just a solid core inside an electromagnet. Looking at the surface of the core, it has steel bars in a step pattern.

I want to control is with a uC in both directions. I'm thinking it might be possible to reverse it if I change the 60Hz frequency to perhaps 120Hz- but if anyone knows, they could save me lots of trouble : )

Cyrus

Reply to
Cyrus

Aren't you fascinated by folks who think they're the 1st with an idea?

The answer is "No".

Reply to
JeffM

I read all of those posts before. I know the idea of reversing a motor is not new, and I know how to search google.

I think the words I'm looking for are "smart" and "ass".

If you think it's impossible, that's fine, I thought it might be.

Reply to
Cyrus

Cyrus posted:

I read all of those posts before. I know the idea of reversing a motor is not new, and I know how to search google.

I think the words I'm looking for are "smart" and "ass".

If you think it's impossible, that's fine, I thought it might be. >>

------

It appears clear to me, after reading the google finds, that it *IS* possible. Also, I have AC motors that are reversible via a switch at the motor.

They are NOT reversible, however, "without taking it apart and changing things.

You need to spend some time on reading comprehension.

Don

Reply to
Dbowey

Sounds like a shaded-pole motor. Not easy to reverse!

Reply to
Charles Schuler

It's a one way motor by design. You have to use gears or pulleys to do the reversal.

Reply to
Watson A.Name "Watt Sun - the

it depends on the motor. you need to look at it. if is a shaded pole type you may be able to find the smaller winding section which makes a slite offset for the start up and direction control and reverse the wires. the problem is in alot of those motors is the stator part that you need to get to is barried. they some times wind the shaded pole first because its a small mass then place the primary windows on tap so that you can't get to them. if you look at the outter core i think you may find what i am taking about and also look at the arm..

Cyrus wrote:

Reply to
Jamie