Off topic, but not by far

First of all, my apologies. I know this isn't the right place to post this message, but i trust your words more than any others. I was just looking for a new black and white laser printer. I was wondering, for those of you who own shops, which do you see come in? Any specific brands to stay away from? I was thinking something along these lines:

I'm kinda looking at spending less than $200. Any recommendations? I was looking at some panasonics as well. I know the university I'm at uses almost all HP's, and they get abused constantly, but are rarely out for repairs. The problem is I don't have the money. Would I just be throwing it away on a cheaper one, like above? I'm sure "you get what you pay for" applies, I just can't take inkjets anymore. Thanks for any advice, and I'm really sorry about being o-t... Steve

Reply to
its you

In addition to quality and reliability of the printer, also consider availability of drivers. Drivers for the OS you intend to run on now, and availability of bug-fixed versions of drivers for your printer in the future, on the current OS and on whatever you upgrade to next.

I gave up on Epson, even though they make nice stuff, because they have lousy support for anything but their newest devices. I upgraded my OS a few years back and discovered that my scanner no longer worked and Epson's only response was "we no longer support that scanner." The scanner was at that time only about two years old!

Personally, my peripherals business goes to HP. Few problems, excellent support when there are problems, and they continue support their older gear for a reasonable amount of time. Worth the money, IMHO. You could try to find something used or refurbished, to keep cost down.

Regardless of who you go with, apply these tests: (1) can you find their web page? (2) can you find where to download drivers? (3) can you find how to contact tech support if there is a problem, and do they charge for the privilege? (4) do they have drivers for the device you intend to buy, on the OS you intend to run it with? (5) does it look like they have a history of fixing bugs in the drivers (e.g., are there recent updates)? (6) do they have drivers for their older devices, for new OS's?

Reply to
Walter Harley

Henry Kolesnik

Reply to
its you

In message , Henry Kolesnik writes

Seconded, I got one with just over 60k on it, two unopened genuine HP cartridges plus the one in the printer, a Jetdirect Ethernet card which services my network and all for under 50UKP. Replacement parts for these printers are v.cheap and easy to get if you ever feel like actually repairing one.

--
Clint
Reply to