Simplex 2400 Not Off Topic

Hello all,

My first question:

Are there any good ole' Simplex Tech's floating around it here anywhere??

I have a few questions about a old Simplex 2400 Master Clock.

Anyone??

TIA

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

Try the horology newsgroup, where the clock guys hang out.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

ABLE1 formulated on Sunday :

Wot's Your Real Problem?

Wot's the Model? Do you have a photo?

I can still remember some and did a lot of work modifying one in the

1970s ^^
--
John G
Reply to

John G presented the following explanation :

Sorry I forgot you put model in the heading etc :o) .

--
John G
Reply to

John G explained on 13/01/2013 :

Some reading at

reveals this can be caused by a low backup battery. Or
And there is a lot of reading there.

Google can likely find more than I did in a few moments :-?

--
John G
Reply to

John,

I have already been there. My issue is not part of those links.

This is a Simplex 2400, and yes I do have pictures but can I post them here??

Here is the problem. Upon inspection of the Master Clock today. There are two area where there were at one time an electronic component that was connect across two terminals. The components have "vaporized" due to a heavy surge or spike. The only thing left is the wire leads connected to the terminals. The one device was across the AC input. (Hot and Neutral) The other was in the upper left corner of the Motherboard.

I can only guess that they were either MOV's or Capacitors. The Master Clock seems to be working just fine. At this point in time there is no way to determine when this happened but it really to a hit. The problem that I am having and what caused me to open the can is due to a few clocks in the system having a bad neutral and not running. Actually when checked at these clocks there is only a 53vac between Hot and Neutral. Where as between Hot and Ground shows a full 126vac. I know there is an issue somewhere it is just a matter of finding it. Currently tracing the circuit and today found the end of the run in the trouble area on the 2nd floor. Need to follow the conduit the opposite direction. It will take time to troubleshoot.

What I hoping for is that some one (Simplex Tech) would know what device might have placed in these areas and maybe what values they might have been. Not an easy task to be guessing at.

Oh, and I replace the backup battery in 2011 and it is good. That is what the links you posted was referring to.

Thanks,

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

ABLE1 was thinking very hard :

No you cannot post the pictures on a Text only NG but for me it doesnt matter, once I explored the problem a bit I found it to be outside my experience Sorry I cant help more.

--
John G
Reply to

Thanks, nothing ventured nothing gained.

Maybe someone else is reading.

Have a good rest of the weekend.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

Check out:

He's on a 50 Hz system....

Reply to
default

Totally unrelated except for the Simplex word.

But thanks!!

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

I can help you, and if you want to post pictures you can post them to
alt.binaries.sci.electronics.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Fields

John,

alt.binaries.sci.electronics does not exist on my server. However, alt.binaries.schematics.electronics does. Ok to post there??

Thanks,

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

--
Les,

Oops...
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Fields

John,

I only have available the alt.binaries.schematics.electronic, so I am going to post there.

Thanks,

Les

Reply to
ABLE1