Nicad and ordinary battery

I have opened an ordinary battery to get the carbon rod and the black powdery stuff around it stained my drawer. I had some nicads in there and I was wondering if the nicads would be affected?

Some of the Nicads did have some white stuff on the positive terminals, but this could be down to old age or misuse.

Should I be concerned?

Reply to
eswnl

I have got rid of the black stuff- got rid of the drawer. I would calll it a light stain.

Reply to
eswnl

I would wash my hands after touching anything that came out of the inside of a NiCd. Eating cadmium has been linked to a higher risk of some cancers I believe.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Jones