nicad and ordinary battery

I have opened an ordinary battery to get the carbon rod and the black powdery stuff around it stained my drawer. I had some nicads in there and I was wondering if the nicads would be affected?

Some of the nicad batteries did have some white stuff on the positive terminals, but this could be down to old age or misuse.

It was only a small stain and I hoped the nicads leaked because they were old. Some of them looked fine and presumably still useable.

Reply to
eswnl

Hi. Not a good idea to open batteries -- the electrolyte can be poisonous.

If the NiCads have a white residue on the terminals, they're probably leaking, and no longer serviceable. For those without residue, you could just try wiping them off with a dry cloth, then charging them to see if they hold the charge.

You should get some eye protection and Playtex gloves, then rinse off the drawer with dilute vinegar solution, then detergent and water. Dispose of the opened and dead batteries properly.

Good luck Chris

Reply to
Chris