Bypassing an old laptop battery

Hi All,

I'm trying to get a really old laptop (Mac Powerbook 170) running again but its main battery seems to have died. I could open up the old battery pack and replace the cells but I was wondering if there was a simpler solution.

Does anyone know whether attaching a capacitor between the terminals instead of a battery and using the AC adapter for power would work...?

...or would I just send it the rest of the way into Silicon Heaven?

Cheers,

-Duncan ________________________________________

Reply to
Blog the Haggis

**Plug it into the mains. No need for extra capacitors.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

not without heavy duty AC electrolytic capacitors Trevor. :-)

How old is really old?

If you can't replace the cells, or the whole battery with an equivalent, (even externally), then Silicon Heaven may be the correct answer.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
No More Damn Spam:   http://www.wizard-of-oz.com
Reply to
Don McKenzie

Old meaning one of the first Mac laptops ever built (1990-1991).

Unplugging the battery and running it directly from its AC adapter didn't do anything, so I was wondering whether it needed the battery to complete the power circuit.

To test this I thought connecting a capacitor (and perhaps a small resistor) across the battery terminal would have similar characteristics to a flat battery. Wouldn't the capacitor then come up to the correct voltage as the laptop tries to charge it?

-Duncan

Reply to
Blog the Haggis

It may already be there. The CMOS battery may well have ruptured or corroded a goodly portion of the motherboard. It happened to me. Not with a Macbook but a laptop of similar antiquity.

____________________________________________________ "I like to be organised. A place for everything. And everything all over the place."

Reply to
Tim Polmear

Visually the motherboard looks ok so I don't know if that's the problem.... The 3V CMOS battery is still putting out around 2.5V so I guess that is within limits... (?)

-Duncan

Reply to
Blog the Haggis