looking for a prototyping test bead/board

Hi can anyone give me some advice,

I'm a degree level-computing student, and am looking at a developing a portable biometrics reader for my final year project.

I am not am electronics engineer, non-are likely to become one. My main area of strength and interest is in the software development.

What I am looking for is some form of prototyping test bead/board, containing a CPU and an easy way of attaching input/output devices such as optical scanners, digital cameras, LCD and a wireless networking card.

If this is not enough all this needs to be at a reasonable price.

Can anyone suggest where to start looking. I have of course been looking on the net, and have found many possibilities for any one (or two) of the above requirements, but am concerned in the difficulty of getting everything on the one board.

Many thanks for your help in advance. Regards Phil

Reply to
Philip McKee

If your proof-of-concept principally involves the algorithms and not the hardware as such, why not just use an inexpensive notebook PC and do all the hardware interfacing over USB? Even if you *will* eventually move this to a custom board, starting in a hosted environment can speed up development considerably.

Once you drop below the level of "USB port and Window's driver" then the complexity can grow rather quickly. If you intend to build 100,000 of these, it's worth the time and effort. If just one, perhaps not.

--
Rich Webb   Norfolk, VA
Reply to