Fluke 97

My Fluke 97 display is not operating. Repair shop says it needs to go back to Fluke for SMT board replacement. Fluke wants $750, more than meter is worth. Can anyone suggest a way around that high cost? Thanks.

Reply to
old rower

Yes, there is a way : Find (or build) a scopemeter to PC optoisolated cable, and use your scopemeter from your PC using Fluke's software ?

By the way you will find on my personal web site some schematics to build such a scopemeter opto interface if you don't have it... it's there :

Friendly yours,

Robert Lacoste - ALCIOM : The mixed signals experts

"old rower" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

Reply to
Robert Lacoste

"old rower" wrote news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

What I can remember is that only the backlight is not working. This is caused by some inverter on the back of the display board. If you are handy enough with fault finding and replacing SMD you could give it a try.

Al

Reply to
The Al Bundy

"The Al Bundy" wrote in news:c0jfv0$78u$ snipped-for-privacy@news4.tilbu.nb.home.nl:

Or rig up a white-LED backlight.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net

Well you didn't say what was wrong !!! I remember them having problems with the Ni-cad packs. They needed a special contact in the pack to make contact with the charging contacts. Try a set of good alkaline batteries and see if it powers up, if it does then get back on making a ni-cad replacement pack.

-- change .combo to .com for correct email

*************************************************** "We ought always to know precisely why a given job is done in a particular way, and why it is done at all, and why it can't be done more efficiently, if it must be done at all."-- T.J.Watson

Kevin Carney

Display shows only one line down right side of screen. Put in new batteries so know it has power.

Reply to
old rower

Sorry, guess it isn't the pack. I don't have any suggestions for the symptom.

-- change .combo to .com for correct email

*************************************************** "We ought always to know precisely why a given job is done in a particular way, and why it is done at all, and why it can't be done more efficiently, if it must be done at all."-- T.J.Watson

with

contact

see if

pack.

Reply to
Kevin Carney

Come to think of it, I do have a suggestion. If you can't get any advice on repairing that model 97 Etch a Sketch, take the money needed to repair it and buy a good analog phosphor oscilloscope. You should be able to get a good used scope for $700. I have no use for those small handhelp scopes. Sorry Fluke, you lost on that one........

-- change .combo to .com for correct email

*************************************************** "We ought always to know precisely why a given job is done in a particular way, and why it is done at all, and why it can't be done more efficiently, if it must be done at all."-- T.J.Watson

problems

go

Reply to
Kevin Carney