am fm car radio antenna trimmer

does anyone out there know if there is still a way to trim the antenna to the car radio?. I know that i'm showing my age with this statement, but i'm having trouble with the fm stations fading in and out as i travel down the road.i thought that there should be a trimmer somewhere on the radio to tune the stations in stronger. its been a long time since i have worked on radios ,so maybe there is not a way to do it anymore. i have a 95 jeep with am/fm and they both drift in and out.changed the antenna --no help so if anyone out there has an idea i would like to hear from you. thanks dudley

Reply to
dudley

My guess is that the radio is acting up.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

My guess is that the FM antenna/radio may be working normally. AM radios used to have a trimmer associated with the high ipmedance/low resistance (very short compared to AM wavelength) antenna. FM antennas are at or near a quarter wave and probably don't have any trimming as the real part of their impedance is pretty large and matching is a bit easier.

Also, it is common for signals to vary with position as fast as once per half/wavelength of distance, which may describe what you are experiencing.

How about comparing with the operation of other FM/antennas moving through the same region, is yours working significantly differently from others? g

A snip from the original post: "am/fm and they both drift in and out"

Reply to
Charles Schuler

It has been a while. For AM there should be a trimmer hole somewhere close to where the antenna cable enters the radio. The trick is to tune the radio to a very weak station at low end of the band, somewhere between 550 and 600 KHz. Adjust the trimmer to best reception for that.

--

    Boris Mohar
Reply to