Using 8051 UART to interface with MatLab

I have project for school where we are using the Cygnal 8051 mircocontroller to capture acceleration. My part of the project is to take the data stored in memory and use MatLab to produce graphs and such. My question is where do i get started... how can i directly interface the 8051 with Matlab.

Reply to
b_martyn

Hi

At first I though UART wouldn't be possible as I didn't think Matlab was that complicated. Though a quick google i found this link that proves me wrong:

Do you need live data. It would be easier to just use Hyperterminal or a simular program to capture then malipulate the data to suit.

I would think you first need to write the serial driver on the 8051 using the SCI port. And then you can worry about using Matlab once you can see the messages from the microcontrolelr in Hyperterminal.

For the serial data.

  1. Start with a byte for the message identifier of the device the messgae is intended.
  2. Length of the Bytes in message.
  3. Data .....
  4. Checksum

Goodluck.