8051 and SCC2692 uart

Hi,

My boss gave me an embedded device with a 8051 processor coupled to a SCC2692 (by Philips) uart and the Keil c compiler. Now I was ordered to develop some kind of pc-interface. The problem now is: I have absolutely now idea how to access this SCC2692 uart. I have documentation the chip, but how am I supposed to fiddle with it? Is it memory mapped? Does the 8051 have special io-instructions? All help is appreciated!

Folkert van Heusden

[private website]

Reply to
Folkert van Heusden

Do you have the right data sheet ?

Its an 8-bit parallel buss. If you have an embedded devices with an 8051 and SCC2692, then its already wired, so do you have a schematic of this board ??

Here are few app notes:

I have not used this part before, but if you have done any 8051 development before this should be easy.

Good luck

donald

Reply to
Donald

Probably, but not neccessarily. In any event, this is all determined by the board design. You're going to have to analyize the board's schematic to determine the answers to your questions.

The 8051 uses the Harvard architecture so it has seperate code and data spaces and its special function registes that control the I/O ports are in a third space, but it does not have a seperate I/O space, per se.

I suggest that you point your browser to

and avail yourself of the wealth of knowledge and resources there.

          Michael Kesti            |  "And like, one and one don't make
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael R. Kesti

In article , Folkert van Heusden writes

Hi,

1 ALL 8051's have a serial port built in. Use that to start with.

2 Which (of the 0ver 600) 8051 variant is it? Some have an external address and data bus some do not.

3 Are you sure your PC has an RS232 serial port.

4 the Keil web site has information on using the on board serial port.

5 have a look at the C51 primer.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Chris Hills

Get the schematic for the embedded device. From that, you will be able to deduce how to access the UART.

--
Dan Henry
Reply to

I second that motion . "Get the schematic" !

It is pointless doing anything unless you have the schematic diagram and possibly some comments from the original firmware/hardware designers.

The schematic should tell you weather the SCC2692 is memory mapped in to the data space (RAM area) or it is controller by the general purpose I/O pins.

A memory mapped SC2692 will be controlled by read/writes to memory location.

Am I/O controller SCC2692 will be controller by port pin I/O commands.... in quite a few cases the I/O operations will emulate memory control so the SCC2692 thinks it is connected to a memory bus (8 I/O lines are the data bus and a few others are read, write, chip select, A0 and A1).

Regards Joe

Reply to
Joe G (Home)