USB Microcontrollers, PIC or 8051 architecture

Hello,

Can someone please recommend some USB based microcontrollers using MCS51 architecture, PIC would also do fine. What I am looking for is a complete protocol implementation of USB2.0 in a micro with FIFO or general readout support once data is transferred or received.

I want to use a micro controller for accessing the USB port which then interfaces with an FPGA for data processing. Buying the USB core is one option, but I am looking at alternatives to handle the USB core in some dedicated hardware chip preferably a micro controller and then take the data to FPGA.

Any other suggestions?

Thnx,

Mak

Reply to
Mak

"Mak> Can someone please recommend some USB based microcontrollers using

TUSB3410 / Series... 6210 and more...

Kasper

Reply to
Repzak

Cypress Semiconductor has a few different choices. 8051 core, USB low, full and highspeed available.

Rob

Reply to
Rob Young

Cypress have been doing 80C51-USB for years, and they have both

12Mb and 480Mb offerings.

If 12Mb is adequate, there are also offerings from Silabs - presently

16KF, with ADC etc, and ST's newest uPSD34xx family have >256KF, ADC, and a small CPLD.

Philips also have USB-2.0 chips designed for FPGA connection.

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

Have you looked at the FTDI series USB chips? There is an article in this month's Circuit Cellar about a USB solution with a parallel port FIFO that uses a simple driver already developed for a Wintel box.

DLC

: Hello,

: Can someone please recommend some USB based microcontrollers using : MCS51 architecture, PIC would also do fine. What I am looking for is a : complete protocol implementation of USB2.0 in a micro with FIFO or : general readout support once data is transferred or received.

: I want to use a micro controller for accessing the USB port which then : interfaces with an FPGA for data processing. Buying the USB core is one : option, but I am looking at alternatives to handle the USB core in some : dedicated hardware chip preferably a micro controller and then take the : data to FPGA.

: Any other suggestions?

: Thnx,

: Mak

* Dennis Clark         dlc@frii.com                www.techtoystoday.com   *
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Dennis Clark

"Mak" skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

You might want to consider the AT91SAM7S64. ARM7TDMI @ 48 MHz.

64 kB Flash 16 kB SRAM USB Nice sync/async peripherals allowing very fast serial interface to FPGA.

The IAR C compiler is free of charge for C code up to 32 kB. You can write the rest for data/Assembler.

If you really want an 8051, you can try the flash based AT89C5130/1/2

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Ulf Samuelsson

The Cypress EZUSB chips (at least USB 1.1) have a pretty nice General Purpose Interface (GPIF) which is tailored to interfacing with another bus (FPGA). It's 16 bits wide with 5 input and 5 output control lines with

7-step programmable waveforms for implementing stuff like strobes & busy signals that can be handled automagically by the processor.

The other advantage to using 8051-based is that you can use the free sdcc compiler. I've done a few projects with this now.

Regards,

|     |   with less resistance!"
Reply to
Mark McDougall

Microchip has some new flash-based PICs for USB, which look interesting. They have an ADC, UART, SPI and lots of I/O.

Leon

--
Leon Heller, G1HSM
Reply to