USB Charger Port Design

I need to add a dedicated USB charger port to a product (no data).

After looking into USB charging standards I realize what a mess awaits me.

There are dedicated USB charger controllers out there like TIs TPS2511.

Has anyone experience with this? I am doubting that I can create a charger that is all things to all devices. For example Apple will charge at 2.4A with certain voltages on the data lines but I don't see a controller that do it.

Rich

Reply to
Richard

That lets you provide 10W charging, which is not a slouch.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

I'm assuming you're making a charger.

There's that new standard "USB Power delivery" championed by Qualcomm and some others, my laptop and my phone both use it.

Are you prepared to provide 100W on that port?

Those with legacy devices can use adapter cables, which should be available from OEMs or 3rd parties if there is a demand...

Jasen Betts

Especially for an iPhone, since Apple only provided 5W chargers with them until recently. Best I've seen is Qualcomm Quickcharge compatible which charge a phone really fast and many phones have it. But even that's a mess, other manufacturers follow similar methods, but it's their own standard and chargers, not an open standard. IDK what it costs for a QC compatible IC or where to get them, but Qualcom would.

Reply to
trader4