USB configuration EEPROM reader/writer utility?

Is there such a thing as a generic utility to read/write the whole

93C56 EEPROM on a USB device? I am sure the EEPROM contains the USB/Driver IDs, but it also holds some device configuration info I need to reset.
Reply to
Gary Tait

No. There isn't even any kind of guarantee that you CAN read/write it. Desolder it, at least it's only a small package.

Reply to
Lewin A.R.W. Edwards

Well, it depends on the type of USB chip used. If you use the FT8U232 from FTDI, you can read and write the eeprom with their eeprom tool.

Meindert

Reply to
Meindert Sprang

It is custom Toshiba chip in a PC peripheral. I need to get into the settings to clear some settings I cannot otherwise clear with the application software or the device itself.

To be precise, I am looking for a way to reset the waste ink counter on a Canon i320 inkjet printer, that doesn't involve sending it away. I would also like a way of non-destructively reading the entire EEPROM from a working unit.

I downloaded the FTDI config software, and all it seems to do is set the parameters particular to USB configuration and identification.

Reply to
Gary Tait

Well, you asked about the eeprom in a USB device and in that context, one would assume that you want to read out the USB configuration data. What you are trying to achive is not USB specific and that eeprom could be controlled by any protocol the manufacturer wishes to use. No standards here.

Meindert

Reply to
Meindert Sprang

There isn't necessarily a configuration EEPROM on the device. Some USB targets (e.g. the Cypress CY365x) are entirely OTP. Others, like the Anchor (now Cypress) EZUSB chips, can use an external serial eeprom to store configuration, but are also capable of running with no nonvolatile memory at all and having the configuration and firmware downloaded at plugin time.

So it entirely depends on what USB device you're talking about.

The EZUSB chips do have a generic way to access the chip's memory and registers from the host, though, so presumably you could read/write their EEPROM (if any) that way.

--
      Wim Lewis , Seattle, WA, USA. PGP keyID 27F772C1
Reply to

There is an EEPROM there (plainly says 93C56), although, there is the chance it is exclusively for the device's internal configuration, not for USB identification and configuration

Reply to
Gary Tait