SPI as secondary storage on ARM dev kit?

Hi,

Im trying to build a dev kit for the AT91rm9200, and have linux running on the final board. However, due to the unavailability of buffers for the parallel flash, i can only use the SPI DataFlash for storage, and this is where the OS would reside.

If anyone out here has the At91rm9200-Dk or Ek, can you tell me where (in parallel or spi flash) is the OS stored, and what is the remaining flash chip used for? Also,what changes would need to be made to the arm-linux version provided by Atmel, if the only form of permanent storage on the chip has to be the spi-flash?

Regards,

Mayank

Reply to
Mayank Kaushik

"Mayank Kaushik" skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Ulf Samuelsson

"Mayank Kaushik" skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

AT91RM9200DK 2 MB Parallel flash 8 MB Dataflash CPU boots from Parallel flash. U-Boot is located in parallel flash You typically store the OS on the dataflash and the complete dataflash can be used.

AT91RM9200EK 8 MB Parallel flash Connector for 8 MB Dataflashcard CPU boots from Parallel flash or dataflash card depending on jumper. U-Boot is located in parallel flash, but can also exist on the dataflash card You typically store the OS on the same memory as you boot from. Have to be careful not to overwrite the u.boot in the dataflash.

The reason for having two chips is to have options. A typical design would only use one flash chip. Getting JFFS2 running is typically a little bit easier on parallel flash Flashing the system during production is typically easier if you have serial flash.

--
Best Regards
Ulf at atmel dot com