Small video advertisements ?

I've been researching POP (Point of purchase) Broadcasting's small video commercials, which will likely be in grocery stores to encourage people to buy products. Would anyone know or recommend a company or embedded software / hardware group which could be an alternative to POP Broadcasting ?

Thanks !

Reply to
ern

I used to work for one... pity they went out of business. Are you looking for hardware, or a complete network?

Reply to
larwe

Both would be best, but mostly the front-end hardware and software, (the media player and sensor). I think the network could be built around it by avidwireless, the company that does the networking for popbroadcasting (popbroadcasting.com) or another local networking company. And actually, a quick and dirty prototype is really what is needed here. The final bulletproof implementation has more flexibility on time. The network would be really simple. It would only require occasionally changing the video that is playing on a particular in-store device.

Thanks !

Reply to
ern

What kind of sensor?

The media player is simple. We modified xine to continuously cycle through a list of media files (i.e. VIDEO001 -> VIDEO002 -> ... ->

VIDEOnnn -> VIDEO001). You can just download new files in the background and remove older one. We use it to play music video. But you can surely play commercials, which we are trying to avoid by turning off the TV.

Reply to
linnix

The sensor should be a motion sensor, so it detects a customer walking by. When the customer walks past the device, the commercial starts playing. Commercials should be easy to update by a non-computer-savy person.

You work for a company who can complete a quick prototype? Contact me if so... Thanks.

Reply to
ern

There is a standard motion sensor chip for a couple of dollars, or the complete module for around $10. I don't remember the part number, but I can look it up later. I do have the sample modules available. We were building security cameras with them.

Will there be broadband connections (cable/dsl)? If not, phone modem could take hours per minute of commerical.

Message also emailed. Hopefully I got the right email address.

Reply to
linnix