Best source for magnesium?

Ok. So now I want to start looking for sources of magnesium to make a homemade wet cell. Preferably the magnesium would be in strips. Are there any items in a hardware store which would be made out of magnesium? How about in a camping store? Or grocery store?

--
Sig: Say no to fixed width HTML tables. They look terrible in most browsers.
Reply to

Yes, there are places where you can get it. Explain more about the wet cell you wish to make and maybe I can lead you to a source. Tom

Reply to
Tom Biasi

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 16:04:20 -0500 in article , snipped-for-privacy@REMOVEoptonline.net spoke thusly...

I would like to make a simple tabletop experiment using vinegar, and copper and magnesium for the electrodes. It could light an LED or a small computer fan or something similar.

I would like a source of magnesium local to me so I don't have to pay shipping. So I'm looking for things made of magnesium which I might find in a hardware store, grocery store, etc. I live in a big city but I'm not sure where to get small amounts (relative to industrial size amounts) of magnesium strips or sheets.

--
Sig: Say no to fixed width HTML tables. They look terrible in most browsers.
Reply to
A Man

--- Since you say you live in a big city, you must have access to the 'Yellow Pages' which will, with no doubt, lead you to suppliers of metals.

Magnesium bearing products (from which you can easily extract the magnesium) aren't something you're likely to run across in your local grocery or hardware stores, so your best bet would be to contact vendors who can supply elemental magnesium in the form of wire, rod, sheet, or ingot.

-- John Fields Professional Circuit Designer

Reply to
John Fields

Strong oxidizing agent! Be sure to NOT use hydrochloric acid on that stuff, 'else you'll get chlorine gas in proportion to the MnO2.

It will remove it nicely, though. Along with any color the carpet was supposed to have...

Magnesium: you can find rods and blocks for - what else, anodes -- at a variety of places (though I haven't checked). Water heaters, steel boats, etc., if it has water in it, it probably wants an anode. Sheet or any other specific form (bar of a particular dimension, etc.) you'll have to find a metal supplier who carries it.

Tim

Tim Williams

Go to

Search for item number 23131. Take a look at the resulting small block of magnesium.

Have Fun,

Joe

: I would like to make a simple tabletop experiment using vinegar, and copper : and magnesium for the electrodes. It could light an LED or a small computer : fan or something similar.

: I would like a source of magnesium local to me so I don't have to pay : shipping. So I'm looking for things made of magnesium which I might find in a : hardware store, grocery store, etc. I live in a big city but I'm not sure : where to get small amounts (relative to industrial size amounts) of magnesium : strips or sheets.

: -- : Sig: Say no to fixed width HTML tables. They look terrible in most browsers.

Reply to
<jwelser

Availability of magnesium metal from retailers is low. Probably from liability issues due to usefulness for incendiary devices, homebrew pyrotechnics, homebrew rocket propellants and homebrew explosives.

The most electropositive metal commonly available to homebrewers is aluminum, and that has issues of forming insulating oxides. After that is zinc - hackable from non-alkaline ordinary batteries such as "heavy duty" ones like many dollar store ones. Just consider that such batteries also have manganese dioxide, which severely stains carpets and clothing (but is dissolved by many acids), and is also a mild oxidizing agent that has a major tendency to oxidize many metals especially if moisture is present (which is why it is used in many disposable batteries). Just keep this in mind!

Don Klipstein

Make a few cells with electrodes of copper and a more-electropositive-than-hydrogen but easily available metal such as aluminum, zinc or iron. So your cells may only produce 3/4 of a volt, maybe .4-.5 volt with iron.

I would not get my hopes up of having science-fair-style homebrew cells getting a motor to turn. But a few in series should have no problem lighting an LED. Could take 8 or so cells with more compromised choice of metals and a white, blue, or non-yellowish-green LED.

If you need a light source with independence from power failures and from commercial availability of batteries, get a "shake" flashlight. And avoid the fake $2 versions that I have seen at some dollar stores.

Don Klipstein

Look in the yellow pages for scientific supplies or specialty metals suppliers. A quick google was instructive:

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Camping stores carry Mg fire starters. For some of the other metals check out:

For $10 they even carry a platinum one!

Cheers! Charlie _______

Reply to
Charles Jean

Hi Don! Love your lighting FAQ.

I believe you when you say the Dollar store shake lights are cheap. But I was wondering, how are they cheap? Do they use cheapo NiCd batteries?

--
Sig: Say no to fixed width HTML tables. They look terrible in most browsers.
Reply to
A Man

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 21:10:06 GMT in article , snipped-for-privacy@example.net spoke thusly...

Typically an industrial supplier will not sell small lots like I am looking for, but only in larger lots, say 100 lbs or larger.

Even recyclers here in my town will only take metals if you have 100 lbs or more. And I'm talking about giving them FREE metal.

--
Sig: Say no to fixed width HTML tables. They look terrible in most browsers.
Reply to
A Man

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 18:34:19 GMT in article , snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net spoke thusly...

Great! They carry stuff no other catalogs carry. I'll bookmark it. Thanks.

--
Sig: Say no to fixed width HTML tables. They look terrible in most browsers.
Reply to
A Man

At least some $2 versions that I saw at some dollar stores have fake magnets, coild with leads shorted together, and the only energy storing device being a pair of CR2032 cells.

Don Klipstein

Two that I have seen do not even have real magnets in them, just a chunk of iron. The batteries run down and that is it for the light.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

no, not even that. they're shakeable, but the shake has no effect.

--

Bye.
   Jasen

Pieces of magnesium alloy deck casting from an old Lawn Boy mower.

Reply to
David Harmon

Plumbing Suppliers carry consume-able magnesium rods that are dropped into Hot Water tanks to reduce corrosion. Sailboats and pleasure craft use a Magnesium Anode to reduce Electrolytic damage. Welding Suppliers might have some sort of magnesium welding rods. Diving suppliers may have access to Magnesium Flares for Underwater work.

yukio YANO

Reply to
Yukio YANO