Video Encoder IC

Hi,

Recently I purchased a small alarm clock with a hidden camera and motion detector embedded just to see how it works. It stores the video on a small MMC card and 1GB holds about 20 mins of footage. Upon evaluation I found a small 640 x 480 camera module connected to an STK1262 controller from Syntek. This controller compresses the image to be stored on the MMC. I have been unable to find a similar IC that will convert raw video and compress it to JPEG/MPEG and Syntek are one of those Chinese companies that seem very hard to deal with.

I was wondering if anyone out there has had any experience with this sort of concept and could recommend some IC's for me to look at. The simpler the better, I'm not interested in high resolution right now

Best regards

Adrian Hamilton

Reply to
Bates

On a sunny day (Tue, 20 Jul 2010 17:34:02 +1000) it happened "Bates" wrote in :

It has been done in FPGA.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

For a consumer product it's probably an ASIC, with purchased IP to do the compression. You could probably do it in an FPGA, possibly even an inexpensive one (depending on how you define inexpensive). Dunno if you could cram it into a DSP, though.

--
Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Conexant CX93510. Very, very useful part.

JB

Reply to
JB

Thanks JB and others for your reply,

I have stumbled across the Conexant CX93510 in my searches. Have you have any experience with this IC. Can I ask what you project involved?

Regards,

Adrian

Reply to
Bates

butcher an optical mouse, that has a ~16*16 pixel camera and some logic to detect motion.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

Unfortunately I cannot reveal any details regarding our project with this device due to NDA restrictions. Sorry. Conexant tech/application support for thisdevice is however, excellent. There is a superb eval kit available also. Speak to the manufacturers. Regds. JB

Reply to
JB