SDR DSP Development board

Hi all ,

I have a requirement for a DSP board for development of SDR applications. The carrier frequency we are looking at is max 8Khz so there is no IF required, we can sample data straight in. The boards that I have found are mostly with ADCs with high sampling rate ( ~56Mhz). I require something with lower sampling rate and more precision for dynamic range.

I am looking for boards with TI DSP floating point like C67xx,

Can anyone recommend a board with good BSP.

Thanks rate

Reply to
ratemonotonic

8kHz are you sure? Then pretty much any DSP board with audio codec would do. May be you can even get by an internal ADC of a microcontroller.

You don't need a cannon to kill the flies.

I have TMS5510 EzDSP that I would like to get rid of for half price.

Vladimir Vassilevsky

I used a Motorola MC56k development board for a similar task, with 9600 samples/s.

The board is now obsolete, so there's no help for you if I give the exact type for you.

--

Tauno Voipio (OH2UG)
Reply to

Do you need a DSP board? At that frequency a PC with a good sound card will suit you just fine.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Maryan

The problem is that it is a low bit rate radio with sychronisation timing constrains , hence have to make the receiver coherent. Also the environment(s) are really noisy so need a lot of processing gain and equalisation. Thats the reason I am wanting to go for a DSP with clout for research and development phase and then I can drop MFLOPs.

I am using a DSP library which has optimised support for C67xx and ADSP floating point devices.

BR Rate

Reply to
ratemonotonic

If the receiver is coherent, then the PLL acquisition time adds to the total synchronization time.

Does the ADC response have to be all way down to DC ?

"Really" and "A lot" are not the engineering terms.

Then use a PC with a sound card for R&D.

This is what they call "premature optimization".

Vladimir Vassilevsky

DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant

Vladimir Vassilevsky

All thing you are saying are true. The uncertainties ( really and lot of :) ) are due to a totally novel channel/medium. The characteristics of which I cannot discuss , so apologetically I cannot continue discussion on that. Was only looking for advise on DSP boards without the extra bells and whistles they usually come with.

I am in the process of setting up an environment for using a soundcard , i am looking at a software called Portaudio to access the soundcard.

Also I am looking to construct a front end to connect to the soundcard.

I am eager to start the embedded side of development because a PC based simulation hides a lot of embedded issues.

Any advise on a DSP(and ADC doughter card) board with should BSP should be gratefully accepted. Thanks

BR rate

Reply to
ratemonotonic

The entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity. The standard windows wave API functions will do; it is all described in MSDN.

Could this be a problem?

So you really do that for enjoyment of the process rather then to get the result, right?

Hire the consultant.

Vladimir Vassilevsky

Look at port audio it is interesting!

Reply to
ratemonotonic

Also, if like a sizable portion of the people here you are using Matlab, the data acquisition toolbox can access a sound card.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Maryan

Thanks chris.