reading/book suggestion

Hi, Could anyone suggest a good book in processor architecture with software/programming approach?

Thanks a million! Dan

Reply to
dan

Which processor? If you want something general, there has been Henessey/Patterson's "Computer Architecture: A Quantitative Approach", but it's not a programming approach but an academic one. Still, it lays the foundation of basics.

Usually for a programming approach, you would need to get a book that covers a particular architecture (PIC, x86, ...) or maybe a survey book that tries to cover several different types. If you search on Amazon, you can probably find a ton of books to help you out and they have user written reviews. Sometimes they even have sample pages so you can see if it answers the questions that you have.

And there's probably stuff online. If you would like some on the x86 architecture, you might try this.

It's kind of old, but it might help with some concepts.

Reply to
Gary Kato

I should say DSP (c64xx..) is what I am interested in. I would like to know if there is a good book on that (crash course of interupt, memory, I/O...) Thanks a lot for your good suggestions though :)

Dan

Reply to
dan

I should say DSP (c64xx..) is what I am interested in. I would like to know if there is a good book on that (crash course of interupt, memory, I/O...) Thanks a lot for your good suggestions though :)

Dan

Reply to
dan

but it's

foundation

(shameless plug) This is kind-of outdated, but it covers the basics of the architecture. Almost no programming info though.

-- Georgi

Reply to
Georgi Beloev

but it's

foundation

TI has plenty of literature describing C64x on their web site. Is that not enough for you? It is not clear what you are looking for... If you are looking for background info on DSP architecture then I doubt you will find it in any of the manuals covering latest and greatest DSPs such as C64xx. For that you probably need to look at something like classic TMS320C20...

/Mikhail

Reply to
MM