Book on software radio

Hi all,

I am a communications engineer with both a good background in DSP, FPGA and implementations of algorithms. I am looking for a good book on software radio architectures and implementations. Can someone please suggest a title or two? I would be grateful.

Thanks very much,

Regards,

Joseph

Reply to
jozamm

Marvin Frerking "Digital Signal Processing in Communication Systems"

Vladimir Vassilevsky

Not a book, but why not take a look at an actual implementation?

Petter

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

I agree. As it turns out, I used to work with Marv (a little) at Rockwell-Collins. Although his book is not as polished as most DSP books, it's extremely good in its way. It summarizes a lot of what the people at Collins figured out over the years about how to implement communications radios in DSP, so it contains several useful tidbits that are hard to find elsewhere. For example, I don't remember seeing information on how to demodulate SSB anywhere else; although that's undoubtedly covered elsewhere, you won't find it in any of the general DSP books. (Oppenheimer and Schafer eat your hearts out.)

Marv wrote the book just at the time he was retiring, and I think it may have been a bit of a swan song for him; perhaps he was trying to capture the knowledge that soon he would no longer need. Unfortunately, the book never sold well and was only in print for a brief time. But it's one of the ones I turn to frequently.

Grant

Grant R. Griffin
Publisher of dspGuru                          http://www.dspguru.com
Iowegian International Corporation            http://www.iowegian.com
See http://www.iowegian.com/img/contact.gif for e-mail address
Reply to
Grant Griffin

ttp://

gian.com

Hi,

Thanks very much for your help. I will certainly look into the book. As for gnuradio I have already checked it out but i am interested in building my own hardware step by step.

Regards,

Joseph A. Zammit

Reply to
jozamm

ttp://

gian.com

Hey Grant, great to see you posting here again - its been awhile.

I second Grant's and Vlad's opinion on the book. Back when I was working on DSP based radios, I referred to that book a lot. It was quite helpful. A lot of stuff you will have to work out for yourself, since most practical solutions will involve a mix of hardware doing some of the up front work and the letting software handle the reconfigurable or difficult to achieve in hardward parts. The idea of putting an A/D on an antenna and then throwing a lot of compute power at the data generally won't quite work. Software radios are defn. fun to work on and there are a lot of opportunities for design improvements.

Besides the Frerking book, you will need to look through articles. If you are not an IEEE IExplore subscriber, find a local university that is and use their library to research. Many of the tricks presented in Lyons' column "Tips and Tricks" are useful in radio designs.

Clay

Reply to
Clay

A perfectly good way to start is to use your PC's audio input to digitize your samples. You can get away with some incredibly simple hardware if you go this route, e.g.,

. The Softrock guys have their own web page dedicated to learning about SDRs:
.

There's also no shame in taking the IF output of your favorite radio and processing it from there -- that way you avoid having to worry about all the "analog stuff" between the antenna and the first IF.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Very interesting. His book on crystal oscillators was pretty good. Freking is a unique enough name that it's easy to remember.

Reply to
miso

ok

Aparently you have already forgotten the name. It has another 'r' in it. Frerking. :-)

Dirk

Reply to
Dirk Bell

ok

Apparently you have already forgotten the name. It has another 'r' in it. Frerking. :-)

Dirk

Reply to
Dirk Bell