Re: Interfacing micro-PC with an USB

Hello,

> I have to implement a data transfer from a custom board (to be > designed) and a standard PC (Win98/XP). > An interesting solution could be perhaps the use of a standard USB > connection so that the PC could see my board just a removible disk. > In this way it would be also not necessary to write any driver for the > PC side (at least under XP, I suppose). > > Is there anybody who faced this kind of problem or that have > implemented an USB mass storage protocol with a microcontroller? > Every tips about other alternative solutions (ie. memory cards or > other standard interfaces) are welcome. > > Thanks > Marco

Cygnal ( now Silicon Labs) has a couple of parts the C8051F320 and 321 which contain a hot rod 8051 core and are USB2.0 full(not high) speed compliant. The development kit comes with USBXpress which contains the firmware for the client side and a Windows USB device driver for the PC side. They also provide "Virtual Com Port" drivers which allow you to map the USB port to a COM port.

All well and good for your application. Now for *MY* little problem. I need to embed USB into a device which will communicate with a Pocket PC running WinCe.net 4.2 for Pocket PC aka Pocket PC 2003. I have identified a compact flash USB Host side adapter which comes with a WINCE driver, but neither that company nor Cygnal will claim that I will be able to communicate with their drivers. The Cygnal chip code is designed to be used with the corresponding Win XP driver, and the CF USB adapter is - I think - designed to be a generic plug and play USB Host. Does anyone have any idea of a chip that comes with WinCE support? I'm really trying to avoid having to write my own WINCE driver as I am under a very aggressive time table.

TIA

Bob

Reply to
Bob Stephens