R8822 console access advice pls!!

Please have a look and drop some advice! Thanks

datasheet at

says:

serial0

-- RTS0/RTR0

-- CTS0/ENRX0

-- TXD0

-- RXD0

serial1

-- RTS1/RTR1

-- CTS1/ENRX1

-- TXD1

-- RXD1

I presume serial1 us the default console. (read it somewhere, am correct?)

The cpu pinout:

R8822: PQFP

pin desc

001 RXD0/PIO23 002 TXD0/PIO22 003 RTS0/RTR0/PIO20 100 CTS0/ENRX0/PIO21

098 TXD1/PIO27

099 RXD1/PIO28 062 PCS3/RTS1/RTR1/PIO19 063 PCS2/CTS1/ENRX1/PIO18

Now is this as straightforward as it looks? Do I just connect as follows?

9pin serial --> cpu 3 TxD --> 099 rxd1 2 RxD --> 098 txd1 7 RTS --> 063 cts 8 CTS --> 062 rts (I dont even know what to cross for rs232, or do I?!)

Well, theres and LQFP diagram with a different pinout. What's that about?

The exact codes on the chip: RDC R8822

0322-D-QF 6U-FGSNP

I read that I can just send a ^C to the console during bootup to interrup the process.

Since I have only worked with PC's in the past, I would greatly value an advice/hints/info/directions you could give me for gaining access to th box console so I can see how it works and maybe add something useful!

Thanks so much...

tunasashimi

It seems that you need level shifting buffers between the processor chip and the 9 pin connector. The RS-232 signal levels are different from the logic levels, and the polarity is usually inverted.

Google for 'RS-232 buffer chips'.

--

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio (at) iki fi