Programming 74ALS188 PROM

Hi there,

I have a working 74ALS188 PROM. This is a (32 x 8) 256-Bit TTL PROM. I need to duplicate this working 74ALS188 PROM but I still have no clue where to start with in terms of required programming device, nor do I know the programming algorithm for this PROM. Can anyone please shed some light on how this PROM can be duplicated and where to still find a programmer which is capable to handle this really ancient component?

Thanks in advance. Joachim

Reply to
Joachim Wunder

Are you sure you don't mean a 74S188? I never heard of an ALS version of PROMs. I know our (as in I own two) DataMan 48XP can program most of the bipolar proms including the 'S' series.

Jim

Reply to
James Beck

Yes, the PCB manufacturer of my garage door opener told me that it´s a

74ALS188 PROM. The IC itself has no parameter/order number/type printed on it (to prevent any copyies of the whole garage door opener PCB, I assume). The PCB is from the year 1990 and even includes an Intel 8748 µC on it.

Moreover, do you happen to know any semiconductor vendor who still produces such PROMs? I am located in Germany, and I still wasn´t able to find anyone who has any 74ALS188 PROMs in stock. So, an equivalent type of this PROM would be the second best chance to find such an ancient PROM, I believe.

Regarding the programmer, a used and more affordable solution than a brand new DataMan 48XP would be much more reasonable for me. Anyway, thanks for your kind offer.

Joachim

Reply to
Joachim Wunder

You are correct, I did find a listing for 74ALS188. Found the same part=20 in several flavors including F, LS I guess I have just never seen one. =20 I don't know of any supplier that would have any, then again, I haven't=20 really looked for them either. =20 I just mentioned the DataMan because that is what we use here. Your=20 best bet would be to find someone near by that will just do the=20 programming on their machine and save you all the cost.

Jim

Reply to
James Beck

Use the local newsgroup: de.sci.electronics .

MfG JRD

Reply to
Rafael Deliano

you have two problems, one is sourcing a device, and the other is getting the code out of the one you have already [if it's good, why do you need another one ? ]

The easiest is to try and borrow a programmer that will read a S188, and also program a fuse-compatible version, if you can find one.

Look at the 82S123 - that is still on shelves, and is 32x8 BPROM. See if that is pin-compatible ?

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

I soon will have the chance to get access to an old Pro-Log M980 Prom Programmer. As far as I understood from its manual, this programmer is capable of even copying a source PROM to an empty target PROM. So, this should do the trick, I believe.

And, yes, as far as I could derive from the 82S123 datasheet, this PROM should really be compatible to my existing 74ALS188 PROM. Thanks God!

Reply to
Joachim Wunder