ppp implementation over GPRS

Hi All,

I am trying to implement PPP. I appear to be getting as far as the PAP, but then the server just waits for about 10 seconds and disconnects unless I 'poke' it with a request for an IP address. This suggests that I haven't actually done enough LCP to get to the NCP phase.

Any ideas or references?

Regards Rocky

Reply to
Rocky

I am not sure there was such a thing like "too few" LCP options (but last time I did ppp was > year ago). If you get an IP in reply to your request, things seem pretty much normal - the other side may well assume a 10 seconds timeout, i.e. if you did not request (or state) an IP address, something is assumed to have gone wrong on either side. As for references, those I used you obviously already have (rfc1661 1662 etc :-). Good luck with your implementaton.

Dimiter

Didi

This occured to me after posting my former reply. There can actually be "too few" LCP options - namely 0. Both sides must have received a "configure-ack" before you can move further form the LCP stage.

Dimiter

Didi

Hi Didi, thanks - I have read thru the RFCs, but I must admit was trying to hack some code to get it going quickly. The thing is that when I do an ethereal trace off a setup on my PC the server _offers_ its IP address after authentication and then the PC negotiates for its IP by requesting '0.0.0.0'. In my implementation I don't get the intial offer. Also, because I'm on a private APN I should be getting a specific IP, but I actually get some othe IP - as if I haven't logged in properly. I suppose that is a major clue!

Regards - Rocky

Reply to
Rocky

Hi Didi - thanks for input. The problem was that is was not doing the ATD command correctly. ATD*99# connects using 'internal default settings' and does not default to the setting that I had set up. I had to change to ATD*99**ppp*1# and then I got the correct IP address.

Regards - Rocky

Reply to
Rocky

What do you mean implementing PPP over GPRS? AFAIR the server side state machine is distributed between the handset and the GGSN. This means, that you can't realy talk about the phases.

If I remember well, then the handset always returns with successful authentication, but if the authentication fails in the GGSN, or something timeouts, then you'll see a simple disconnect.

3GPP standards. (At least I used those when I implemented PAP processing in a GGSN a couple of years ago.)

Regards

ImRe

Reply to
Imre Palik