Philips LPC210x cheap & quick start?

Hello,

we are looking for development tools (IDE and simple In-Circuit Debugger) for the Philips LPC210x (ARM7) controller family, particularly at the lower priced end. At the Philips homepage, several systems are listed (mainly from the greater vendors like Keil, Nohau, IAR, Ashling etc.).

Can someone recommend a good package to look at? Maybe there are some more makers of "smaller" development tools which are not listed there? (For example, I guess there is a free GCC compiler available.)

Besides C/C++, are there any compilers for other languages (preferrably Pascal)?

TIA,

--
Dipl.-Ing. Tilmann Reh
Autometer GmbH Siegen - Elektronik nach Maß.

I like the Rowley Associates CrossWorks package:

It's based on the GNU tools but comes with their own IDE and excellent debugger. It supports the ARM on-chip debug interface - I use it with my own JTAG hardware.

There is a very active Yahoo support group:

and a GNUARM group if you want to use the free GNU tools:

Leon

Reply to
Leon Heller

The Ashling board (we distribute it,see

comes for a reasonable price and is based on the GCC + onboard USB-jtag.

I guess any ARM pascal will work with more or less effort on this chip. But actually, I did not hear about a Pascal compiler for ARM so far.

--
42Bastian
Do not email to bastian42@yahoo.com, it's a spam-only account :-)

Leon Heller schrieb:

Thanks, I will have a deeper look at it.

I came across the lpc2000 group by the

website, bit it was so unbelievable slooooooow that I couldn't retrieve any useful information. I will give it a second try. (However, web based groups are horrible anyway - a usenet group would be far more efficient...)

Thanks,

--
Dipl.-Ing. Tilmann Reh
Autometer GmbH Siegen - Elektronik nach Maß.
http://www.autometer.de
Reply to
Tilmann Reh
42Bastian Schick schrieb:

I don't know exactly which board you are referring to, but the Opella debugger looks like a useful tool for us...

This sounds like bad luck. If anyone comes across one, please let me know!

--
Dipl.-Ing. Tilmann Reh
Autometer GmbH Siegen - Elektronik nach Maß.
http://www.autometer.de
Reply to
Tilmann Reh

There is a GNU Pascal compiler:

It might be feasible to convert it into a cross-compiler for the ARM.

Another option is the GNU p2c translator. Actually, that might be the best way.

Leon

Reply to
Leon Heller

Notes on GNU pascal are here..

For notes on GNU Modula-2/ARM cross compiler see

and there is

Here, strannik looks intersting, it's a Multi-language system : Modula-2(Oberon-2), C(C++), Pascal - open source, so could be made into a cross compiler....[knowledge of Russian would help :)]

General lists here

and I see both GNU Modula-2 and GNU pascal recently built for the AMD 64 bit processors.

For DEBUG I'd guess GDB would be well advanced.

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

Best regards Tsvetan

--
PCB prototypes for $26 at http://run.to/pcb (http://www.olimex.com/pcb)
PCB any volume assembly (http://www.olimex.com/pcb/protoa.html)

Tsvetan Usunov schrieb:

Thanks for the info. I will also have a look at EWARM, seems like a really cheap way to at least start with ARM programming.

--
Dipl.-Ing. Tilmann Reh
Autometer GmbH Siegen - Elektronik nach Maß.
http://www.autometer.de
Reply to
Tilmann Reh

Jim Granville schrieb:

Thanks for these notes. It'll take a while to read all those pages :-).

However, AFAICS, there is no ready-to-use Pascal IDE for ARM7 yet...

--
Dipl.-Ing. Tilmann Reh
Autometer GmbH Siegen - Elektronik nach Maß.
http://www.autometer.de
Reply to
Tilmann Reh

It is called ASK-2000.

See:

42Bastian
Do not email to bastian42@yahoo.com, it's a spam-only account :-)
Use @epost.de instead !
Reply to
42Bastian Schick

In article , Tilmann Reh writes

It is hardly efficient.

Yes but it is not widely used. /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ \/\/\/\/\ Chris Hills Staffs England /\/\/\/\/\ /\/\/ snipped-for-privacy@phaedsys.org

\/\/ \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Reply to
Chris Hills

In article , Leon Heller writes

If it is anything like the Gnu C compiler for ARM it is hopelessly inefficient

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ \/\/\/\/\ Chris Hills Staffs England /\/\/\/\/\ /\/\/ snipped-for-privacy@phaedsys.org

Reply to
Chris Hills

gcc could be better, sure - but it's still good enough for serious work.

-jm

Reply to
Jukka Marin