LPC210x users?

We are going to design a small thingummy using the Philips LPC2106 ARM chip.
Are there any happy or unhappy users of LPC210x chips in this newsgroup?
Care to share your experiences?

Where can I find application notes / reference designs for the LPC family?
How about the FLASH programming algorithm (in case we want to erase the
bootloader and use our own)?

What else do we want to know? :-)

Thanks a bunch!

  -jm

Re: LPC210x users?

www.lpc2100.com

Re: LPC210x users?
I will use it for ham purposes...
I'd like to share infos. Leon Heller is making a pcb for it and he will
provide it low-priced.

What is a thingummy?

Regards -
Henry

Jukka Marin schrieb in Nachricht ...
chip.

Re: LPC210x users?

A widget.

Re: LPC210x users?

It's very similar to a wotsit, a thingy or a doodah. Oojamaflops are
related to them as well.

Leon

Re: LPC210x users?
Sorry. Seems only a native english speaker know what it is?

Leon Heller schrieb in Nachricht

Re: LPC210x users?
... snip ...

Something like the German stoff. Also known as a watchamacallit.

Please don't top-post.  Corrected.

Re: LPC210x users?

Like cloth? really?

Better would be "das Dings", or similar.

Re: LPC210x users?
[thingummy]

No, I'm not a native, either.. just learned the word a long time ago and
thought it was funny.

  -jm

Re: LPC210x users?
says...
If I understand the documentation correctly you can't erase the boot
loader.  The top 8K of the flash cannot be erased or written to.  The
flash algorithm isn't documented anyway, you have to use the boot code
for programming.

Robert

Re: LPC210x users?

That would be nice, kind of.

That's too bad..  we have our own embedded OS with our own bootloader/
monitor/debugger/whatever and it would be nice to have the LPC chips
completely under our control, just like the other chips we are using.

Well, the LPC's are the cheapest single-chip ARMs I know of, so I guess
we'll just have to settle for this.  They also sound a lot faster than
the Atmel chips with a slow 16-bit FLASH.

Thanks,

  -jm

Re: LPC210x users?
says...
That may still be possible.  The 8K bootblock contains code for In
Application Programming (IAP) so you could use your normal loader and
have it call the IAP code to do the actual dirty work.

Robert

Re: LPC210x users?

You might want to take a look at the OKI ARM chips.  They have the
ML67Q400x and the ML67Q500x families.  Both are very similar with the
400x running up to 33 MHz and the 500x running at up to 60 MHz.  The OKI
chip has an external bus as well as 4 channels of ADC that the Philips
parts don't have.  OKI provides a fixed 32 KB of RAM and flash ranges
from 0 to 512 KB.

I have not found the Philips parts to be any cheaper than the OKI parts
once you dicker with them a bit.  I am getting the top end chip for
about $11.

--

Rick "rickman" Collins

snipped-for-privacy@XYarius.com
Re: LPC210x users?

The internal FLASH appears to be slow, 16-bit memory (unlike on LPC210x
where it runs at zero wait-states at 60 MHz).  I e-mailed a dealer,
anyway, and am waiting for pricing and other info.  (But I already designed
the LPC into one project today....)

In what quantities?  The LPC chips are 9...11 eur in small quantities over
here.

  -jm

Re: LPC210x users?
designed

It is common to find cores outrun the memory in this area...
The LPC21xx ( like the Cygnal 100MIPS models) uses wider data paths to solve
the relatively slow FLASH speed issues.
Philips claim the LPC2114 with ADC is 'available now', but the data is a bit
behind the press-release :)
-jg

Re: LPC210x users?

Yes, the 128 bit wide Flash is nice, depending on just how they
implement the fetch, with or without lookahead.  On the other hand the
OKI 500x parts have true cache which speeds both the flash and any
external memory.

Actually I checked my quote and the 5003 was $9.48 on 100 pieces, $8.59
at 1000.  I believe that is about 7 to 8 eur, but if you aren't ordering
100 pieces or more, who really cares about a buck or two?

--

Rick "rickman" Collins

snipped-for-privacy@XYarius.com
Re: LPC210x users?

 The LPC21xx (along with the Cygnal 100MIPS devices ) use wider FLASH
(128 bits) to avoid the FLASH speed problems.
 Easy in single chip, not so easy in off-chip designs.

 Philips also claim the LPC2114 (includes ADC ) are 'available now',
but the data itself is slower appearing than the press release :)

-jg

Site Timeline