PCI problems

Hi there,

I use a embedded pc module (SOM2353 from advantech). The board has some pc interfaces I use an additionally a PCI interface (32 bit), which I DON't use, an this seems to be the problem: the module (especially the processor and the PCI bridge chip) gets VERY hot (even without significant processor load).

When I insert this module into the associated development board from advantech (virtually a pc motherboard), it stays very cool.

I made some tests and the result was, that the unused PCI interface is responsible for this overheating. I read some PCI infos and now I think the reason for the overheating are (maybe) some floating PCI input signals, but the module datasheet states "all necessary pullups are integrated on the module", but I think that is not the whole truth ;-)

After this endlesss introduction we come to my question: Which signals of an unused PCI inteface has to be connected in which manner to avoid floating or overheating?

ANY help would be VERY appreciated!

Best regards,

--
Bernhard Roessmann
Don't Fear The Penguins!

Hi, Even I have also faced a similar problem here. In my PMC(PCI) interface board, the PCI-PCI bridge was getting heated as soon as it is switched ON. We found out that this is due to the arbitration logic. Please look into your arbitration logic and the arbiter as you power on the board.

Bye Srikanth

Reply to
srikanth

Hi Srikanth,

Sounds very interresting, I will take a closer look at the damn thing ;-) tomorrow. Thank you.

Best regards,

--
Bernhard Roessmann
Don't Fear The Penguins!