NXP Gone mad

I've tried an older link, that seems to be working again, and this page looks quite good to me :

Loads quickly, and the pdf icons, DO actually give PDFs, and allow Save-As!

So, perhaps the further you can get from the 'Home Page' fluff/froth, the better you are :)

I often bookmrk landing sites, deeper into websites for this reason.

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

Well, I'll modify that slightly, there is one small design oops, in that you cannot get to the Product page, in one click.

Taking the top device here, you should be able to jump straight to

from the list, and the most sensible tag would be a link under the PART NUMBER

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

... snip ...

I have Firefox configured to never display .PDF files, always download. Saves a lot of time.

--

                        cbfalconer at maineline dot net
Reply to

Yes, that is an older one and AFAIK the only one at NXP that works. But it does not allow access to all areas.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

... snip ...

As a partial fix, try . Their fineprint utility driver (for Windoze) will format almost anything appropriately, give you a preview, and especially for this problem will do booklet printing (2 pages per sheet, one sheet per side) including one sided printers. I've been using it for about 8 years, and it keeps getting better. However they have a peculiarity - when I report a bug they deny it (or it's a feature), but it gets fixed in the next release!!

--

                        cbfalconer at maineline dot net
Reply to
CBFalconer

... snip ...

But users of this newsgroup tend not to be 'ignorant potential customers'. In fact they are probably among the most aware of newsgroup readers.

--

                        cbfalconer at maineline dot net
Reply to
CBFalconer

snipped-for-privacy@specinst.com

I access these sites (as do all others here) from work, but sometimes 'work' is at a client's location (as it is right now for me). To have loud music, flash movies and other things happening when you are working from a secure location (I'm doing stuff for a defense contractor) is annoying and embarrassing to say the least, but to them, not me.

I wonder if they have thought this through? (Silly me, of course they haven't)

Cheers

PeteS

Reply to
PeteS

I tried that at the local Staples. The first thing they did was scan for a copyright notice. When the saw one they simply refused to accept the job unless I had explicit permission.

Robert

Robert Adsett

Yup. Been my experience, as well.

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

How did you turn the download manager window off? Or at least permanently hide it. I never understood why they thought that must be visible.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Hmm, that's a bummer.

Maybe you guys should live in the country where folks think copyright is some kind of cup cake ;-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

It's got nothing to do with ignorance. Say you work at a defense contractor and would attempt to install some of those new tools. I am pretty sure they'll send the goons out and pronto ;-)

Same for us consultants. In smaller companies I can use my laptop and tie into their LAN. Not in larger ones, there we often have to use a PC assigned to us. With whatever is installed and not installed. Especially in highly regulated industries where I often work the roll-out of new SW regardless of size must go through an ECO process. Violate that and sleepless nights will be guaranteed the next time "surprise auditors" swoop in.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

You reminded me. When I would work in a secure area on clearance work, most everything electronic I took into the secure region never left it. The only way out for most of it was to be shredded into pieces and/or whacked with a sledge hammer until it wasn't usable. This included memory boards, disk drives, etc. Anything, pretty much, that looked as though it _could_ carry data on it.

You use a laptop in there? It's not coming out -- not usable, anyway.

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

I am not working in an environment quite as strict as that. Just in regulated businesses where, for example, a seemingly innocent SW bug can ultimately cause great bodily harm to people. So they make sure that anything that has to do with computers, as well as everything else, is done by strict procedures. They are usually called standard operating procedures (SOP) and are themselves released documents. You can't even install your persoanl screen savers. Well, often you could but it would get you in trouble.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

... snip ...

Harumph. Thought I could find it easily. No idea now. But it can be done! This is on 2.0 for windoze.

--

                        cbfalconer at maineline dot net
Reply to
CBFalconer

I was just thinking that the circumstance I mentioned would be one where keeping PDFs on my travel laptop would do me no good at all. (I was a consultant and traveling weekly.) I needed paper copies when working in that area. They allowed me to remove that, after looking closely at it.

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

Tools -> Options. Select the Content tab. At the bottom of the tab, you'll see "File Types". Click the "MANAGE" button. The Download Actions dialog will appear. Find and select "PDF - Adobe Acrobat Document", and click on "Change Action" The Change Action dialog will appear. Click on the radio button next to "Save on My Computer", then OK your way out.

--Gene

Reply to
Gene S. Berkowitz

The fact that they even call that piece of junk a Download Manager is a fraud. If it w>>I have Firefox configured to never display .PDF files,

Joerg wrote:

You'd be well advised to get a better one than that pseudo-thing that is built into Gecko. Old copies of this one are available gratis:

This is what Headlight Software thinks about their own ability to capture clicks: (Apparently, it ain't easy.)

?printer=yes+click.monitoring+Clipboard.monitor+the.Flashgot.plug-in

Another option:

?id=5087+move-*-files-*-*-*-in-*-queue+filters-*-configurable+auto-renaming.*+resume+file.*.exists+lists-every-*-link-*-*-or-*-object+refine.*.*.dynamically+Select.links+multipart.download+using-the-last-filters-and-*-*-renaming-mask-*-*+DownThemAll-is-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-manager&strip=1

Besides GetRight, there are lots of other Download Manager choices:

*.*.Version.*.*.*.*+uu+registration.required+SeaMonkey . .

Gene detailed how to do it for PDFs only. (I assume that was for Firefox.) For a meta-thing, Mozilla Suite gives you 3 options.

If I can't convince you to just go ahead and get something orders of magnitude better, well then: Edit; Preferences; Navigator; Downloads; Don't open anything

Reply to
JeffM

I don't know off-hand if it can resume a broken download, but Firefox's "Download Manager" can certainly pause and resume a download. It also starts the download while you are still messing around trying to figure out which directory to store it in, which I find convenient.

Proper download managers are certainly useful if you are getting big files, or lots of files. Get one that integrates with Firefox's FlashGot extension for convenience (I use "Free Download Manager" and "wxDownload Fast", but there are lots of others).

mvh.,

David

Reply to
David Brown

and I'm told this small oops is going to be fixed too. That will make operation more tolerable.

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville